Why become a member? ×

In Favour of Amps

cheddatom

Just a few experiences in favour of amps and volume...

I'm playing drums in a 2 piece band. The guitarist uses a submarine pickup through an octaver for the bass sound. He always struggles to hear his own vocals, so I set us up a "silent" rehearsal rig. Both of us used in-ears for vocals, bass and guitar, with only the drums making any real noise. We thought it was brilliant. One day, when setting up a big rig to record his guitars for the album (stereo guitar rig, full stack for the bass sound), we thought it'd be good to have a jam with it. The vocals went back through the PA, our ear plugs went back in, and F*&K ME we both said, this is awesome. We've not gone back to the in-ears

My main band have an Xair-18 which we bought to record our album in a bigger, more covid-secure room. Our guitarist has always used his POD and recently bought a fancy new modelling pedal. He's really into the idea of a quiet stage. Again, the singer struggles to hear himself on stage sometimes. The bassist always used a small TC combo. He's been talking about getting a new amp all year, and at first I was trying to convince him to go ampless, but there was no way. We played a festival where they had an Ashdown Rootmaster into an 8x10 on stage, and it had us grinning at each other the whole set. So, he bought a Rootmaster, and a Barefaced 4 x 10. We had our first rehearsal with it last night and F&(K ME we both said. 

Maybe this is just the drummer's point of view, but with a great big bass sound, everything is grooving better

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Just goes to show that you really can't beat moving a bit of air.

Absolutely. Spending lockdown rehearsing/playing with bands via Jamulus with headphones on made me swear never to get involved in any "silent stage" nonsense. It was better than nothing (just) but soulless and unsatisfying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Definitely. In my band we wear earplugs as the drummer is just so loud (my ACS plugs deal with this tho) but I can feel the air from the rehearsal rooms 810, it’s very satisfying. 

• Like 1

I used to gig with a bi-amped rig and an Akai Unibass pedal. 

The highs went to a 4x12 cab, the lows to a 2x15 cab and the distorted octave up plus a fifth above went to a Line6 guitar amp. 

Absolutely rediculous... 

... but immense. 

🙂👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skybone said:

Actually what you can't beat is a decent song that sounds good at low volume.

Pretty much anything can be made to sound exciting when it is loud.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 3

Totally agree. 

I'm doing a lot of gigs without in ears at the moment and I'm enjoying being able to crank up my amp a bit, old school style. Having said that, I still like having an amp behind me when I'm using in ears, for a bit more feel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Im with you. In ears allow us to sound bloody good because there's no ambient amp noise and no bleed! 

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

9 hours ago, gapiro said:

Im with you. In ears allow us to sound bloody good because there's no ambient amp noise and no bleed! 

Whilst I love the sound & feel of big amps going (they don`t have to be massively loud tho, just to drums level)  I have to admit that since wearing ear-plugs (ACS), which really reduce the volume of the whole band down, I can hear much more of what each instrument is doing and it does make rehearsing much more enjoyable. I`m yet to do a gig like this so can`t comment on that aspect.

I can totally get behind this, having tried an in-ear setup without amps on stage and going back to a 4x10 to move some air and properly "feel" my bass.

Curious though: how did adding extra stage noise help both singers in any way?

On 29/09/2021 at 10:50, cheddatom said:

I'm playing drums in a 2 piece band. The guitarist uses a submarine pickup through an octaver for the bass sound. He always struggles to hear his own vocals

On 29/09/2021 at 10:50, cheddatom said:

Again, the singer struggles to hear himself on stage sometimes.

I love playing loud at rehearsal. There's something satisfying about that wall of sound from 3 sets of big amps and a loud drummer. 

The cab contributes quite a lot to the sound, I think distortion sounds horrible if it doesn't go through a good cab. 

4 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I'm wearing custom moulded ear plugs with -30db filters in them. It's more about "feel" than sound. There's a connection between the low end coming out of the bass rig, and the bass drum, and it's just not there otherwise

Which ones have -30dB filters?

All the ones I've seen are between 15 & 20dB, which is one reason why I've never gone down the custom route.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed some of these replies sorry. I'm not sure how it helped the singers, but they both preferred it

My -30db plugs are ACS

I think the wearable subs and in-ears thing misses the point of the room. I've tried the P&D drum throne with built in sub. It's pretty cool but it's not the same. I think there's something happening in the time domain but it's very difficult to define