Why become a member? ×

New from g&L?

AndyTravis

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Another bass where a pair of L-2000 MFD humbuckers wouldn't be expected

img_0886-jpg.4428150

The two upper switches do the parallel / single / OMG for the neck and parallel / single / series for the bridge

two of the three lower switches are on/offs, the third is yet to find a use

Oooooohhhhh nice. Lose the lower switches, put a master volume there, put pickup blend, bass cut and treble cut on the main control plate, move the jack to the side and we're really talkin'!

It'd be a shame not to have series for the neck pickup, though. Some properly cool sounds can be had from that.

think I'd rather have series for the neck than the bridge. In many implementations, I've found series a bit "shouty" and lacking in depth,  but the position of the neck pickup ought to compensate for that a bit.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what "OMG" entails if not series, parallel or single coil?

Otherwise, it's off to Googleland for me..

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
Oh. It's a tone capacitor added to what would otherwise have been Series operation. It acts on one coil of the pair, and the effect would seem to partially negate my criticism of Series-wired pickups I've experienced in the past..
  • Like 1

So - I’ve heard this a few times (I think @ped started it) where OMG only effects one of the coils of the pickup.

how does that work? Does the position of the cap to ground care which coil it is working on or is it on the whole output?

B0B5237A-84DC-46CC-84BD-A126BA4EFBF6.jpeg
ie in my sketch - what’s the difference?

Edited by LukeFRC

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

So - I’ve heard this a few times (I think @ped started it) where OMG only effects one of the coils of the pickup.

how does that work? Does the position of the cap to ground care which coil it is working on or is it on the whole output?

ie in my sketch - what’s the difference?

I know nothing about the realities of wiring, so this is just me repeating what I've read: whilst the coils are in series, the cap is wired in parallel with one of the coils

Edited by Ricky Rioli

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 07:48, Ricky Rioli said:

Another bass where a pair of L-2000 MFD humbuckers wouldn't be expected

img_0886-jpg.4428150

The two upper switches do the parallel / single / OMG for the neck and parallel / single / series for the bridge

two of the three lower switches are on/offs, the third is yet to find a use

As with all L2000 demos, I wonder why anyone would ever want to make half the noises, and love the other half

On 06/10/2021 at 18:52, LukeFRC said:

So that is what you were saying before - when in series, C2 is parallel with the bottom coil, making a tuned circuit giving you a big boost at a certain frequency, the certain frequency depending on what the inductance of the coil is, I am guessing from the sound demos some mid range frequency.

I only emailed G&L yesterday about the prototype single coil MFD's they've been working on. Turns out their still in the test stages but when ready they'll do a press release. Side note, i picked up a 2019 G&L JB standard last week and its probably the nicest jazz ive ever owned. Prototypes pictured.

IMG_8451.jpg

Edited by buff
re wording
  • Like 4