Why become a member? ×

Floor Wedge/Monitor

dand666

Any ideas guys for a decent active floor wedge/monitor?

Could potentially buy a decent top to use as a monitor for now, and use as a Top when needed?

Complete novice here when it comes to PA.

Don't really wanna spend more than £200 for just a monitor on its own.

Happy to go to around £350 max for a single top. Then I'll buy another a few months down the line and I've got myself a set of tops 🙂

TIA 

Rather than spend £200 on a budget powered monitor, I'd look at an active PA top box with a 10" driver (you don't want too much bass in a monitor). I use HK Premium Pro 10s, which double as vocal PA speakers (with or without a sub) in small venues. They're nice, but over your budget. However, there are some decent cabs from RCF and others that should do the job at the sort of price you're looking to spend. Avoid generic Chinese boxes. You cannot get them repaired if they develop a fault and resale value is nix when the time comes to upgrade.

My vote is for Yamaha DXR10's.  I've found them really good as both monitor wedges or FOH tops.  Again, over your budget but came with a 7 year warranty from Yamaha.  Have switches on the back to set them up for monitor use rather than FOH and can be used in multiple situations I've found as there are three inputs on the back.

@dand666 what will be going through the monitor? There’s a TC Helicon Voicesolo FX150 for sale in the classifieds here which is potentially perfect if you want something compact, loud and mic stand mountable. If you’re putting a load of bass through it, it may not be ideal at high volumes but it’s a really good speaker.