Why become a member? ×

Luminous Fret Markers

Leonard Smalls

The Luminlay ones are particularly good where there's soem kind of blue/UV lighting onstage.

Years ago I had a 'nirvana black' Warwick Corvette $$ and I used to play in a couple of very dark venues (well, it was dark on my side of the stage). One day I bought some Glowtech paint and some powder too, and made a paste with it, then applied small 'blobs' at the side dot markers. It wasn't very pretty if you looked up close, but it wasn't that obvious. It glowed brightly for long enough, but I could also feel the 'blobs' with my thumb, so I could find my way even if the glow weren't there. Not the prettiest solution but that worked very well for me.

If you want it to look good, Luminlay is great. Just have the little UV keyring-torch in your pocket if you think you might need to refresh the glow, a simple swipe along the neck will get you going.

Since I switched to maple neck/fingerboards I haven't bothered with anything glowing.

I had Luminlays fitted to my Warwick StarBass as The Terrortone used to play some very murky "stages" and the conventional markers were impossible see once I'd put my shades (part of our stage wear) on.

I would have done the fitting myself, but with the bass being a set neck getting the ones at the body end in looked tricky so I took the bass to a recommended luthier in Nottingham who charged me about £70 for the fitting a took about a week to do it. They made a excellent job of it and IMO it was well worth the money. Had it been a bolt-on neck I would have probably done it myself.

As others have said you need to remember to charge the dots up before you go on stage, so just remember to keep the charging torch in the gig bag or case that the bass goes in and you'll be fine. If you are really paranoid buy a spare and keep it in your leads (or other gig items) bag.

Most of you seem to forget that as the "Luminlays" are activated by UV, simple outdoor light works as well as there are plenty of UV's even without a bright sun.

On the other hand, IR don't charge them, so remember that thick glass is a great UV filter, only letting IR through, which means it won't charge behind a double or triple glaze window. 😉