Why become a member? ×

When BVs Go Bad

Happy Jack

Was playing a rough pub in Bingley West Yorks yonks ago. The stage area was also an area where the pool table was and in order to move it they had a purpose built trolley. Come our set they have moved the Pool table and the trolley instead of being under the pool table was loose at its side. Our female singer (who was never usually seen in anything but jeans) was wearing a skirt and a whizzed punter lay on his back on the trolley and pushed himself across the floor to do a bit of up-skirting ( although it was not called that then). Never seen that before or since.....

22 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Was playing a rough pub in Bingley West Yorks yonks ago. The stage area was also an area where the pool table was and in order to move it they had a purpose built trolley. Come our set they have moved the Pool table and the trolley instead of being under the pool table was loose at its side. Our female singer (who was never usually seen in anything but jeans) was wearing a skirt and a whizzed punter lay on his back on the trolley and pushed himself across the floor to do a bit of up-skirting ( although it was not called that then). Never seen that before or since.....

These days, thanks to snowflakes, that would be sexual harassment or something of that kind.

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

These days, thanks to snowflakes, that would be sexual harassment or something of that kind.

Right then, let's have an uninvited, unexpected inspection of your nether regions then.  Fair's fair, if you're going to be like that.

• Like 2

Just now, wateroftyne said:

You're either being wry, or you think that would be acceptable behaviour. Curious to know which...?

I don't think it's acceptable behaviour at all but back in the 80's and 90's it would be considered just a good lads laugh and the girls would laugh too. I don't mean snowflakes about this, but in general. Things that used to be considered ok are now big no no's.

Just now, ubit said:

I don't think it's acceptable behaviour at all but back in the 80's and 90's it would be considered just a good lads laugh and the girls would laugh too. I don't mean snowflakes about this, but in general. Things that used to be considered ok are now big no no's.

Thanks for clearing that up - we seem to agree that times have moved on, and it's nowt to do with 'snowflakes'.

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Right then, let's have an uninvited, unexpected inspection of your nether regions then.  Fair's fair, if you're going to be like that.

Calm down lads I would never consider doing something like this ok at all. What I am saying is back in school you did things like this and in general snowflakes have changed everything. Sexual harassment is never ok.

Edited by ubit

Just now, ubit said:

I don't think that's ever been considered 'OK'. If someone had done that to our female singer (back when we still had one) they'd probably have received a good kicking from everyone in the band.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

I don't think that's ever been considered 'OK'. If someone had done that to our female singer (back when we still had one) they'd probably have received a good kicking from everyone in the band.

I agree and we would be the same. Poor choice of words I think. I was generalising

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Playing with my old jazz trio, in a jazz venue, on a jazz night, I had an irritating student type ask me if we could play Iron Man by Black Sabbath. The first time, it was amusing and I laughed. After the eighth or ninth time of being told 'oh come on, surely you must know it, play it', I snapped and invited him in no uncertain terms to sex-and-travel.

Just sayin…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

It wasn't considered OK in the 80s and 90s, its just that the ____s don't get a free pass to be ____s without consequences anymore. Poor ____s 😢

• Like 2

We had a corker a few years ago - I was playing drums with a covers band in Bristol, great gig, always a lively crowd, and even more so on this particular evening as all of the freshers were out as well. 

Anyway, gig all going well, crowd suitably lubricated, lots of dancing and singing along, until one young girl, obviously not realising there’s a low stage behind her, inadvertently launches herself backwards onto the stage and took out the entire right hand side of the drum kit - toms, cymbals, the works. I’m mid-fill at the time and end up flailing into space as she goes past, and she ended up in a heap to my right. Like the pro I am, I mouthed “are you okay?” and keep playing - she nodded, blearily, and we manage to finish the now truncated song before helping to extricate her from the tangle of pipe work. 

Amazingly she got up, downed a drink someone handed to her and continued to dance for the rest of the gig! Bet she ached the next morning, it really was some header she took. 

42 minutes ago, Jakester said:

We had a corker a few years ago - I was playing drums with a covers band in Bristol, great gig, always a lively crowd, and even more so on this particular evening as all of the freshers were out as well

I bet none of yours kept pestering you for bloody Iron bloody Man.

• Haha 1

An old friend of mine does open mics, and his wedding reception involved a number of open mic participants plus us (who assembled from assorted open mics ourselves). We do "Purple Rain", and the keyboardist takes over for the "oooh oooh oooh" outro vocals. Except this time, when an open mic lady came excitedly up and said "I know this", then launched into what I can only describe as caterwauling - in fact, I've never heard anything for which the word "caterwaul" was so accurately fitted.

At one pub venue, we got the macho man thing - someone built like a brick outhouse standing straight in front of the singer as close as he could and scowling at him. Now I'm 175cm tall (that's three inches short of a fathom for those of you that can't cope with the 20th century) and I make the rest of the band look like hobbits, so you can imagine that on a floor-level stage area, that was a bit intimidating for him. Macho man subsequently went over to the table that the percussionist's other half was at and leant on it, scowling at her. Fortunately he got bundled out by the bar staff, so nothing untoward eventuated. Pub got crossed off the list of pubs that we would ever play at again.

• 5 weeks later...