Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard upgrade - Line6 HX Stomp or Line6 Pod GO?

Faithless

Hi, folks,

It's been a WHILE since I last posted here, but...

I decided to switch from my bulky analog pedalboard to digital thing.

I was looking at different things, but the two most sensible options are these two:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/lt/line6_hx_stomp.htm

https://www.thomann.de/intl/lt/line6_pod_go.htm

Which one should I be going for?

POD seems to have more controls and an extra foot controller, which I like.

I want this unit to be a preamp and have some quality effects and have the ability to upgrade it at some point.

Thank you!

best

Laimis

They use different IR's if I remember rightly, the Stomp shares the models with the whole Helix range and has more in common with them architecturally and sound-wise, the Go is a it like the old Pod XTs.

The Go will be easier to use live, but a decent MIDI pedal and you're sorted. 

I replaced a Pod XT Pro rack with my Stomp, it's a much better sounding unit.

The POD Go has the same amp, cab, mic models as the Helix, it's just a few of the effects models that are missing. Recently bought a POD Go, and getting some really great results from it, bought it to replace a POD HD500X (which is still a great option BTW).

The big question is how many effects are you running at the same time?

Only need 2 or 3 at once? POD Go is better. More than 4? Maybe a parallel signal path? HX Stomp definitely.

Will you use the amp / cab modelling, or are you just interested in the effects?

Both the Helix & the POD Go share the same amp & cab models. You can load third party IR's onto either if you want. However, if you're only wanting to use the effects, then go for the HX FX instead. You get all of the effect models from Helix without having the amp/cab modelling.

Thanks for replies, folks.

I’ll be running the unit as an amp simulator first and fx unit secondly (comp, distortion, envelope, thats it).

The MAIN issue here is that i’m planning on running 2 basses into unit, and split the signals, so the HX unit seems to be the only option, since it can split the two input signals separately to FOH, right?

9 hours ago, Faithless said:

Thanks for replies, folks.

I’ll be running the unit as an amp simulator first and fx unit secondly (comp, distortion, envelope, thats it).

If this is all you're using, then POD Go would be ideal.

9 hours ago, Faithless said:

The MAIN issue here is that i’m planning on running 2 basses into unit, and split the signals, so the HX unit seems to be the only option, since it can split the two input signals separately to FOH, right?

When you say running 2 basses into it, is it 2 basses at the same time, or do you swap basses? Both the POD Go & HX Stomp only have 1 guitar input, so if 2 basses were playing at the same time, then you'd need 2 units. Still just scratching the surface of the POD Go, and not really looked at the output options. Not sure about HX Stomp's output options.

I believe you can use the FX return as a second input on the HX Stomp

The input is also stereo so you can process left and right separately if you have appropriate external connectors for your 2 basses to connect to a single stereo jack input

Edited by Bigwan

IIRC when I had one it seemed there was a bit of flaff involved with using 2 basses in the L+R ins/outs. I’m sure it could be done, but you’d need separate patches set up for each I think as they’d need to be panned hard L and R for each. Maybe ask in the HX Stomp thread? I used a Radial Instrument selector that then went into the Stomp. 

Edited by jimbobothy