Why become a member? ×

A Fender J Ltd. edition you've probably never seen before....

wateroftyne

I like to think I'm aware of pretty much every oddity that Fender has put out. But no, those crazy Japanese are still hiding the odd surprise up their sleeve....

Here's the Hojin Egawa signature Jazz, produced by Fender Japan in the mid-to-late 90s.

Yep, it's a new one on me too. And  no, I don't own it.

de.jpg

edde.jpg

s-l1dd600.jpg

s-l1sdd600.jpg

s-l1wdwd600.jpg

s-l16ddd00.jpg

s-l160dd0.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-ldd1600.jpg

wdwd.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

normally that kind of plate is hiding chiselled out holes for extra pickups and electronics on overpriced examples of hacked up vintage basses on ebay so what it's doing on a production bass is anyone's guess. My guess is that as its a signature edition it is based on the plate of one of the artist's favourite basses - just as the Marcus Miller Fender Jazz had something slightly less extreme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

normally that kind of plate is hiding chiselled out holes for extra pickups and electronics on overpriced examples of hacked up vintage basses on ebay so what it's doing on a production bass is anyone's guess. 

Well, it is a signature, so maybe Hojin Egawa hacked up his bass and then put a big scratchplate on it to cover it up, and this is a copy of that? Although having seen his actual bass, its not even the same colour, although the plate is the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

It looks like something that would suit Verdine White. 

Aye, or Larry Graham and his "none more white" Moon bass, although there's a massive missed opportunity here that the Fender did jump on: white pickup covers! 

2_754adfc3-a94d-4805-9936-6616c01ab0f6.j

I raise you another oddball Fender signature bass: apparently this one was made for the bass player of Silent Siren (and the accompanying Telecaster guitar).

fender-silent-siren-signature_3.thumb.jpg.f2da7b8983846829ab6a1dd793383275.jpg

fender-silent-siren-signature_2.thumb.jpg.5b6c8f026b301af6ca61d3464b513d20.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2