Why become a member? ×

Ooops... Belated NBD

Skybone

And there was me, happy with my lot, until this popped up on FB Marketplace. Bugger.

Don't know what it was with Ric cases, this one and the last one I bought were both broken, and both reeked. Both basses now rehomed in newer, non-stinky cases.

IMG_20210926_182201079.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Skybone said:

Don't know what it was with Ric cases, this one and the last one I bought were both broken, and both reeked.

Next time just buy a lefty. They come stock in the Rickenbacker Deluxe case (silver tolex G&G case with blue plush interior) xD

Looks lovely! These just look so good in bla... excuse me, Jetglo! 

I know this is a weird thing to say, but I love the smell of my Ric 😂 I've never really noticed the smell of other basses I've owned, but the Ric does have a specific smell to it, maybe its the maple?

My case is also buggered, was it the feet by any chance? RickySounds sell a repair kit if you fancied fixing yours...

https://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product/rickenbacker-case-repair-kit-black-plastic/

Classic... Looks so cool.

Just can't get that the scratchplate doesnt follow the contours of the lower body better... Are Ric plates traditionaly single ply?

I'd have to get a spare plate BWB or WBW to tie in the binding would look so nice and have a go triming the edge on the right between the 3 screws if enough overlap with the cavity.

Whats the Headstock n TRC look like?

Edited by PaulThePlug

6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Next time just buy a lefty. They come stock in the Rickenbacker Deluxe case (silver tolex G&G case with blue plush interior) xD

Looks lovely! These just look so good in bla... excuse me, Jetglo! 

That's probably why the importers charge so much more for lefty Ric's. 

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I know this is a weird thing to say, but I love the smell of my Ric 😂 I've never really noticed the smell of other basses I've owned, but the Ric does have a specific smell to it, maybe its the maple?

My case is also buggered, was it the feet by any chance? RickySounds sell a repair kit if you fancied fixing yours...

https://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product/rickenbacker-case-repair-kit-black-plastic/

I think it's probably more down to the cellulose lacquer they use. 

Cracks around the feet, but also in the corners of the case. I think that moisture must get in to the broken case and reacts with the glue or foam or something. Why can't they provide cases that are harder wearing?

6 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Classic... Looks so cool.

Just can't get that the scratchplate doesnt follow the contours of the lower body better... Are Ric plates traditionaly single ply?

I'd have to get a spare plate BWB or WBW to tie in the binding would look so nice and have a go triming the edge on the right between the 3 screws if enough overlap with the cavity.

Whats the Headstock n TRC look like?

Must admit, that one always baffled me as well. I think that there's enough space to trim the plastic, but I'm not going to attempt it. :D My other one has a black plate & TRC, so you don't notice the gap.

Yes, single ply scratchplates, and it's quite a thick chunk of plastic as well. When you consider your standard FSO style scratchplate is approx. 2mm thick, a Ric's is about 4mm.