Why become a member? ×

The Pick Club

Guest BassAdder27

I’ve always played both as and when required and would say I’m equally proficient in both styles, but irrespective of whether fingers would be most suitable I’ll always switch to pick when my finger ends are feeling like if I go for any longer I’ll injure them. I know some people take blisters as badges of office but I find no joy in having them so make sure that all sounds I’d normally achieve with fingers I can also get a workable version of with a pick. Maybe that gets me a guest membership to the club.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All the music you play may well suit a pick, but a lot of mine doesn’t. I use pick or fingers depending on what the song needs.

I assumed that’s what most players did.

I play mostly rock, indie, punk and find I can play all songs with fingers fine but I’m in a band with one guitarist and I need to be a bit more up front as a bassist hence why I find the pick the better choice for this 

Edited by BassAdder27

I don't have any feeling in 2 fingers and little feeling in my thumb following an accident and wrecking my elbow and shoulder, so have little option but to pick play.

But thats fine, as after all these years I can alter my technique and can play, where the situation demands, in a manner indistinguishable from fingers.  You can pluck with the pick, stroke the strings, use the edge at different angles, allmsorts of different sounds, it's so versatile.

Dunlop Tortex Triangle 1.0 is my favoured tipple.

Edited by Bassfinger

OK,  maybe not quite so drastic. If the song calls for a pick or if I’ve made my fingers sore, I’ll use this one (recommended courtesy of Bobby Vega). If I’m not feeling my slap tone, I’ll also use a pick with a more upward motion, it’s a pretty good facsimile.

277AD2A6-577F-4A49-A30D-403B75BBC4D3.jpeg

9 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Depending on what the song needs I play with fingers or a pick unless it's a bit fast in which case I have to use a pick and what the song needs can bugger off.

This is my situation, as ever succinctly put by Mr Delvar.  I started playing exclusively with a pick, it is what feels natural to me.  I've been playing fingerstyle more and more in recent years but for speed and accuracy always turn back to my pick.