Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Super Twin

Waddycall

I’m in the market for a new cab. I play in a newly formed covers band doing some of the usual pub covers. We’ve two guitarists. I’ve been using a rumble 115 cab in previous bands that rehearsed in decent studios with good acoustics and always DI’d or mic’d at gigs. It always seemed fine. The hall this band rehearses in sounds horrible and I’m having problems hearing myself. I’ve tried two different amps and have a third (RM800) on the way. Both my existing amps have some issues which put them at risk of giving up at any point. 

Just so happens that someone local to me is selling a fairly recent super twin for a fair price. I’m wondering if this would be a good choice but have concerns about whether it’s  too much for what I need and whether portability could be an issue. 

I’m also wondering if the lack of tweeter could be an issue. How noticeable is the lack of tweeter on these?

common sense says I should try the new amp and go from there. Just don’t want to miss the opportunity if this super twin is what I need.

Hi, IMO there are no downsides to an ST.

These cabs are clear, clean and punchy. They spread the sound evenly across the stage and through the room. Your band will love it.

It won't be too much because you have volume controls. Your RM800 will be purring along nicely.

• Like 3

I love mine. I don’t miss a tweeter. The top end of the freq range is very similar to an Ampeg 8-10 so if you would be happy with that top end you’ll have no trouble.

Sound dispersion is excellent, just don’t stand too close to it as it will be firing at your legs. I tend to put mine in the corner so it’s a bit further away from me, and everyone can hear it equally.

It sounds fine in the house too. The wheels are good and it’s very light.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waddycall said:

I’m in the market for a new cab. I play in a newly formed covers band doing some of the usual pub covers. We’ve two guitarists. I’ve been using a rumble 115 cab in previous bands that rehearsed in decent studios with good acoustics and always DI’d or mic’d at gigs. It always seemed fine. The hall this band rehearses in sounds horrible and I’m having problems hearing myself.

No speaker is going to fix the awful acoustics of your average wooden floored village hall. That said I wouldnt want to discourage what looks like a significant upgrade to an ST which certainly isn't going to hurt. A more radical solution would be to consider taking the DI out of your amp into IEMs (might need a mixed to buffer it) which will solve the problem of you hearing yourself at least, in a noisy hall youl also probably get enough bleed through of the rest of the band.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 1

The Supertwin is extremely light, and you will never be short of power.  You won’t miss a tweeter, and if you are battling 2 guitarists and live drums, the Supertwin is probably the perfect weapon to cut through the mix.  You will be heard and felt, no messing.

As someone else said here, no cab will fix the crap acoustics of a village hall.  

• Like 2

Since I got my ST (a few years ago now) I've not looked at another cab, nor have I ever felt it wasn't enough to keep up with (actually annihilate, but that's not the point) the daftest of drummers (and two 100w Marshall/412 geetards)...even with a 300w head...

They're simple to move, light, and they have wheels. I've even had the drummer offer to help move my gear since he worked out how light it is...

• Haha 2

I would put a request on items wanted here. 
I replaced a couple of super compacts with a super twin. 
Bought an Ampeg B200r earlier in the year. Just because. Love it. Used it for months then took my Supertwin and ABM500 out as part of the house band for jam nights (worried that the b200r might get damaged). 
Sounds so much better than the Ampeg. Lovely tone, excellent dispersion throughout the pub. 
Buy one, you won’t regret it!