Why become a member? ×

Quick question - incoming amp has DI out jack, not XLR - please recommend an adapter

Clarky

Thanks chaps. This is what the manual says:

DI Output Jack: Balanced DI output for sending a balanced signal directly to low noise studio equipment. The DI can be configured to either Pre (default) or Post EQ via internal jumper settings. See “A Look Inside” for specific jumper settings. NOTE: The DI out is a balanced output. A 1/4” stereo jack is used as opposed to a more common XLR for space considerations. To connect to an XLR input a simple adapter is needed (rather than an adapter/transformer). The 1/4” stero jack is wired as follows: Tip=Positive, Ring=Negative, Sleeve=Common.

If anyone has a specific recommendation for an adapter or cable with adapter, it would be great thanks as I don't really understand this stuff and need to be spoon-fed!!!!

I use this with my EA Doubler. 

It was made by OBBM, following the description in the EA manual

Amazon have this balanced TRS jack to male XLR which should work, but it would be worth checking with the vendor to confirm that the TRS connections are wired as per the requirement in the EA manual.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-6-35mm-Balanced-Audio-Adapter-XLR-pins-Stereo-Plug/dp/B008JYF2CK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=trs+to+xlr+male+balanced+adapter&qid=1632687056&sr=8-3

PXL_20210926_200131219.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheRev said:

Amazon have this balanced TRS jack to male XLR which should work, but it would be worth checking with the vendor to confirm that the TRS connections are wired as per the requirement in the EA manual.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-6-35mm-Balanced-Audio-Adapter-XLR-pins-Stereo-Plug/dp/B008JYF2CK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=trs+to+xlr+male+balanced+adapter&qid=1632687056&sr=8-3

My preference would be for that cable but long enough to loop the cab handle before the FOH lead. Also some brightly coloured tape on it to make it harder to steal. That takes a lot of strain off the jack.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Thanks 1

I’d plump for a cable, but definitely longer than the one above, with a right angled TRS jack plug just in case it gets bumped. Your sound / recording engineer won’t thank you if it gets knocked out by accident because it’s a 2” long metal plug sticking out of your amp like a chapel coat peg.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

I'd be tempted to just buy a DI box. I think it's a more solid option than using cable adapters

You still need a trs to trs cable to connect the amp to the DI box. May as well just buy a trs to XLR cable and save the expense of a box...

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

You still need a trs to trs cable to connect the amp to the DI box. May as well just buy a trs to XLR cable and save the expense of a box...

No, because you'd run a DI box before the amp. Plus you can buy a decent DI for not a lot of money, so it's not a big expense if you don't want it to be, and it'll be far more reliable in the long run.

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Erm, a DI box is a cable adapter… 😄

But it's not a small jack style adapter that is more likely to get lost or damaged. I don't trust those kinds of adapters.

On 26/09/2021 at 13:15, TheRev said:

This is what you want, the terminations are standard.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 03:59, paul_5 said:

Erm, a DI box is a cable adapter… 😄

Erm, no it’s not. 

A DI takes an unbalanced ground referenced signal and balances it. It also floats the signal from ground. It requires a TS input cable, not TRS. 

that amp has the balancing circuitry built into the amp, so all that’s needed is a TRS to XLR male adapter cable.

• Like 1