Why become a member? ×

Awesome playing

ricksterphil

Charles Berthoud no less. No doubting he's a brilliant musician and arguably the best YT bass virtuoso and comes over as a decent fella as well. This is nicely done but I have zero interest in listening to solo bass albums. I've tried Vic Wooten's stuff too but despite being virtuosic it leaves me unmoved. Then again I don't care for any albums where there's just one guy or gal on a guitar, whatever. Live in the right setting  is another matter but the performer has to have personality and amusing banter as well as the chops which is why I'd make time for Adrian Legg and Tommy Emmanuel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Yeah, he plays well, with good technique and he sounds musically mature 

Plenty of fluency, feel and dynamics going on during this piece as well. 

(that goes for Michael Manring as well...:D)

Just my opinion, of course, but, I can't hear any 'twaddle'.

I guess that when I said twaddle I meant that i just find that sort of thing leaves me totally cold, same goes for Michael Manring's stuff.

More of a Norman Watt-Roy type myself (and no I can't play that either).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

I guess that when I said twaddle I meant that i just find that sort of thing leaves me totally cold, same goes for Michael Manring's stuff.

More of a Norman Watt-Roy type myself (and no I can't play that either).

Well, let's face it, the bass (guitar and upright) is somewhat limited as a solo instrument, unless you use loads of effects boxes. I would no more choose to listen to a solo bass album than I would a solo drums album. IMO the bass, like the drums, only works as an ensemble instrument.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 6

I'm not a fan of bass solos either, although I did enjoy one by Colin Hodgkinson during a gig for the Spencer Davies group - unbelievable string bending. I think Charles Berthaud has something good going on with the one I posted above and will be checking out more of his stuff. 

...and Norman Watt-Roy is a genius for coming up with THAT bass line

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Well, let's face it, the bass (guitar and upright) is somewhat limited as a solo instrument, unless you use loads of effects boxes. I would no more choose to listen to a solo bass album than I would a solo drums album. IMO the bass, like the drums, only works as an ensemble instrument.

We couldn’t be more different - but that’s one of the great things about music - I think bass is a fabulous solo instrument.

• Like 5