Why become a member? ×

Anyone else lost out on gigs

Bassman68

Is there a fuel shortage? Watch the semantics, hair splitting and back flips from our politicians.

The chairman of the Road Hauliers Association said today, a large amount of the fuel is currently sitting in the distribution centres and petrochemical plants and it's not being delivered to the garages.

So the politicians aren't lying, but they are!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Is there a fuel shortage? Watch the semantics, hair splitting and back flips from our politicians.

There is a fuel shortage where it needs to be, yes. 

But according to the government, this is a problem caused by a europe wide shortage of lorry drivers, and not because we kicked them out this year. However, the answer to solve this european wide shortage of lorry drivers, which isn't anything to do with us kicking them out, is to get some more of them in from europe, where there are apparently loads of lorry drivers ready to come in, even though there is a shortage.

So, that makes sense.

And the other way to get more lorry drivers, is to write to the million people who hold licenses to drive lorries, in case they have just forgotten that they have licenses to drive lorries, rather than quitting because they found something better to do.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Maude said:

Boris: There's not a fuel shortage! 

Man on forecourt: say there is Boris, and I should know, I've seen a few. 

Crowd: Hail, fuel shortage!

Boris: There's not a fuel shortage! Will you please listen?! There's not a fuel shortage, do you understand?! 

Honestly! 

Woman: Only a true liar denies his untruths!

Boris: What? Well what sort of chance does that give me? 

All right then, there is a fuel shortage! 

Crowd: There is! There is a fuel shortage! 

Boris: Now, f**k off!! 

My reply would probably be deleted under the "no politics" rule. However, let's just say that I disagree with you.

• Haha 1

I do find it difficult to believe there's a shortage of fuel delivery drivers, they are one of the highest paid truck drivers, and so recruitment shouldn't be a problem, like the loo roll shortage it's panic buying because of an unsubstantiated rumour driven by hysterical reporting, once everybody is driving around with full tanks of petrol  it'll settle down

• Like 1

To change the subject, we lost out on a gig recently because the guy re-opening the pub we were supposed to be playing didn't get his license through in time.  And we couldn't play the following weekend because of folk being on holiday.

It's not just COVID and fuel availability impacting gigs - the normal BS reasons are still there also ;)

Interesting replies, although ignoring the plainly obvious that BP who originally closed a few of their garages, even if only 10, where the ones who stated it was because of a shortage of tanker drivers, and who knows, but maybe they actually are more aware of how many tanker drivers they have than other people on the internet?

No argument that further problems are caused by panic buying, but there was an issue to start with, however small.

And I saw a tweet that covered that too earlier:

There is no fuel crisis.

We just suspended competition law, drafted in the army and are in emergency talks to prevent the imminent collapse of the Stanwell Oil Refinery for a laugh.

• Like 3