Why become a member? ×

Anyone else lost out on gigs

Bassman68

We’ve got gigs all over the place in the coming week, and hoping the situation will be resolved soon. We were in Stevenage last night, and coming home to Yorkshire up the A1 noticed that most of the fuel stations were open and all had supplies. Refuelling at night seems to save the hassle of queues that we saw on the way to the gig. 

43 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

another self fulfilling prophecy, our media really needs to show more responsibility when reporting these scare stories 

Agreed on this one. A minor story of 8 petrol stations closed by BP ramped up to a full scale crisis. At least it makes the government look bad so that's no bad thing in my book

• Like 5

1 minute ago, T-Bay said:

At least with fuel it’s hard to hoard, I bet some of the morons who hoarded loo roll are still working through them now.

I remember in the last fuel crises (2000?) some taxi driver filled a wheelie bin with petrol kept it in his front room, the bin melted the fuel leaked out, they and the neighbours all had to move out of their houses

Most of my gigs at the moment have provided back lines and I'm using public transport into central London.

I've 350 miles in the tank which will get me through the next few weeks. I have no long journeys planned, so I'm hoping this madness is over by the time I have to top up.

33 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I remember in the last fuel crises (2000?) some taxi driver filled a wheelie bin with petrol kept it in his front room, the bin melted the fuel leaked out, they and the neighbours all had to move out of their houses

There was a taxi driver in Derby that filled baths in his cellar with diesel and ended up with of ‘issues’. But thankfully such stupidity is rare even in this land of knuckle draggers.

58 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

I recently learned a full set to dep for a band for a couple of gigs. 30 odd tunes. Both got cancelled. Not impressed.😆

That's happened to me. It's irritating. Mark it down to experience and treat it as a learning experience. Many of those songs have come in handy since.

I once charted about 80 songs for a function. The band insisted they wouldn't gig anything less. . . .  and they actually played about 20! If you want to be asked back you've just got to put in the hours and be ready for anything.

• Like 1

It hasn't (yet) affected any gigs for me, but yesterday rehearsal got cancelled as two members couldn't make it due to lack of petrol.

Mrs Zero's car needed filling up and she was going to do it Saturday morning, but after seeing all the issues, I offered to fill it up in the middle of the night at our local 24 hour Asda. Got there just as a tanker was leaving, which I thought was a good sign. When I got in, there were about 20 cars queueing for the four pumps (out of 12) that were working. Cars continued to arrive as I filled up, so there were still about 20 in the queue at 1 in the morning. At least I've got some fuel in my car, half a tank in one of the bikes, and I don't commute any more.

I know Boris Bashing is a popular sport these days but I don't see how the govnt are to blame here?  Surely the press over reported it and people were stupid and selfish?  Govnt are saying there is no shortage of fuel and stop being silly?

18 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I know Boris Bashing is a popular sport these days but I don't see how the govnt are to blame here?  Surely the press over reported it and people were stupid and selfish?  Govnt are saying there is no shortage of fuel and stop being silly?

That's exactly why they're to blame. Everything that comes out of Boris' mouth is a lie. So if he says there's no fuel shortages. There almost certainly is. Or at the very least, people are going to believe there is. 

• Like 3

Don't want to speak too early but it looks like things are calming down in my little corner of Warwickshire.

No queues at the Tesco forecourt in Stratford earlier this afernoon and none at the independent down the road from me, both still open.

I suspect that the majority of those inclined to rush out and fill their tanks have now done so and the pumps haven't run dry.

Fingers crossed anyway.

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's exactly why they're to blame. Everything that comes out of Boris' mouth is a lie. So if he says there's no fuel shortages. There almost certainly is. Or at the very least, people are going to believe there is. 

Boris: There's not a fuel shortage! 

Man on forecourt: say there is Boris, and I should know, I've seen a few. 

Crowd: Hail, fuel shortage!

Boris: There's not a fuel shortage! Will you please listen?! There's not a fuel shortage, do you understand?! 

Honestly! 

Woman: Only a true liar denies his untruths!

Boris: What? Well what sort of chance does that give me? 

All right then, there is a fuel shortage! 

Crowd: There is! There is a fuel shortage! 

Boris: Now, f**k off!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2