Why become a member? ×

Basses that sound better than they look

charic

The one I nearly bought on Friday :)

Yamaha RBX fretless, a bit beat up looking, in a dodgy metallic green. Sounded fecking gorgeous though. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the hands of Tengu before too long :huh:

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='47754' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:02 PM']The one I nearly bought on Friday :)

Yamaha RBX fretless, a bit beat up looking, in a dodgy metallic green. Sounded fecking gorgeous though. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the hands of Tengu before too long :huh:

Andy[/quote]

I had one of those - currently residing in the 'basses you regret selling' thread.

MB1. :)

Ibanez atk 4....... God dam ugly(massive chrome plate bridge) but does some great musicman stingray/sterling impersonations, tells crap jokes though!
Musicman Bongo..Never let a German car manufacturer near your stingray.

Edited by MB1

Guest subaudio

It's probably just me but all the really nice sounding basses I have played were always in hideous colours, I played a mind numbingly good MM5 that was plastacine orange, an wonderfull lime green jazz.

JayDee Supernatural - love/hate styling (OTT '80's) but play & sound cool
Also played a mate's pair of Wal Mk 1 Pro-Basses recently; Shergold styling with naff headstock but the holy grail of fretless tone. Yes,I'd love one!

[quote name='MB1' post='48392' date='Aug 21 2007, 03:59 PM']MB1. :)

Ibanez atk 4....... God dam ugly(massive chrome plate bridge) but does some great musicman stingray/sterling impersonations, tells crap jokes though!
Musicman Bongo..Never let a German car manufacturer near your stingray.[/quote]
ATK? Really... I quite like them...

[quote name='ARGH' post='48464' date='Aug 21 2007, 06:35 PM']I really thought Gibson Thunderbirds,were going to sound kak,Everyone said they are unstable,blurry sounding...and just 'difficult' to use..

Played a few old and new alike,Genuinely liked all of them.[/quote]
+1 I've always liked T-birds

[quote name='Shaggy' date='Aug 21 2007, 04:23 PM' post='48401']
JayDee Supernatural - love/hate styling (OTT '80's) but play & sound cool
Also played a mate's pair of Wal Mk 1 Pro-Basses recently; Shergold styling with naff headstock but the holy grail of fretless tone. Yes,I'd love one!

MB1. :)
In a John Mcenroe vocal styley!......"YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!".

[quote name='charic' post='52444' date='Aug 30 2007, 02:06 AM']I think that corts actually quite nice looking. Agree with you tho, definately very nice and easy to play. Theyre a good name in my books[/quote]

its OK looking but the one I tried had a very poorly matched veneer on the front and back, not sure what the wood in the middle was but it was a messy look all the same. The other thing is that most of the Corts I've ever tried were those Bundled cheapies so I never rated them as better than a begginers instrument

Not sure if this counts, but I was in a music store in Reading a few days ago and I saw a '50s styled Fender Pbass (classic series, mexican made) in Fiesta Red, a gold anodized pickguard and a maple fretboard... i thought the gold pickguard was disgusting, but I decided to give it a bash because something about it spoke to me. Plugged in and WOW... i've played mexican Fenders before but this one had that special something about it that made me want to trade my car in and get another student loan on the spot.

[quote name='finnbass' post='52581' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:51 AM']

Absolutely excellent bass for the money.... :)[/quote]

I kid you not, the neck on the one I tried was as perfect a reproduction from the nut down to my 72 Jazz neck that if my Jazz was ever stolen I would probably buy one of these Corts just for the neck.

Is the one in the pic a laminated or one piece finbass?

[quote name='Alien' post='47754' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:02 PM']The one I nearly bought on Friday :)

Andy[/quote]

Picking it up tomorrow :huh:

I'll post pics when I can get my sister's camera.

• 2 years later...

ive got a couple contenders for this crown

first up my sandberg comes with an ugly ass s/plate removed it
not improvement but plays and sounds awesome

next up epiphone t-bird 5 reverse headstock and body this is
as tasty as sticking marmite on a pickled egg but bangs out plenty tone

ive got an atk to bridge is a bit bling but i quite like tbh let me know what you think :) :rolleyes: :lol:

My best friend has an RBX double humbucker model that has a weird contoured body and feels a bit plastic but its sounds amazing. He is actually a session musician and it records better than his Lakland 55-02, cracking bass, ugly as sin and I can happily say that because I used to own one.