Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton budget guitars

SteveXFR

18 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Actually, I have an Epi Les Paul I keep meaning to list.

It's a great guitar with Kent Armstrong pickups, but has some noticeable damage to the finish, so I was going to put it up for a couple of hundred. I can PM you details if you'd be interested, @SteveXFR?

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll go with the Harley Benton 

• Like 1

I got a Harley Benton Tele (TE52) earlier this year. Great value for money, really pleased with the purchase. Based on that, I'd feel pretty happy trying just about any of their stuff. 

The SC550 II Les Pauls are a bit over budget (≈£240) but seem to get great reviews (have a look on YouTube) and have some great features including stainless steel frets. If I could sneak another guitar into the house, one of these would be on my shortlist! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to actually buying one. I went for a CST 24 in the end which is a clone of the PRS Custom 24. The reviews were all extremely positive. 

It turned up this morning. It looks fantastic, really nice finish. The fret board is a bit dry so I'll put on some lemon oil, other than that I can't fault it. I plugged it in to a little Orange Micro Terror and it sounds amazing. For £210 I'm really impressed, for double that I'd be happy.

It'll be my daughters Christmas present so I hope she likes it. I thought the dark green would suit her current goth phase.

20211119_193840.jpg

20211119_193834.jpg

• Like 2

Thats it... just slot a block of wood in their to keep the trem plate flat to the body... simple job and easy reversable... removes a lot of the tuning issues improves sustain, meatier tone...

And i prefer and swap for a wound 0.16 G (9-42) for feel and a warmer tone... 0.16 in plain feels like a thick bit of wire a wound has loads more 'feel'

Transformation for a couple of quid!

Edited by PaulThePlug

Thanks for the tips. I'll get that done. 

She'll be playing some quite heavy music so sustain and a meaty tone will be good. She was playing Chelsea Wolfe's 16 psyche last night on her old squier strat, played very well but it sounded so weak. This should be much better