Why become a member? ×

Digital mixer choices - Behringer XR18, RCF M18

lemmywinks

7 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Lack of stereo monitoring is the only thing that niggles tbh, 3 of us are from the old band where we ran a DL32r and could all sort our own mixes out easily. Shame there isn't something within budget that has 10 aux sends.

Would you say a pair of RCF745 cabs could handle bars and medium sized rooms without subs btw? 

The niggle will go away with P16Ms - it the reason why I'm suggesting the XR18 - it gives you an upgrade path over time as money allows. The XR18 is enough to get you going but wont prevent you going stereo for cheaper, unlike other options with a fixed number of auxes, or without any network monitoring solutions (which will be way more expensive than the Behringer option).

RCF745s? Absolutely.

• Like 3

I'm also reluctant to add extra kit, we had a discussion at rehearsal and the aim is a small rack with the mixer, two full range powered cabs and a cable box on wheels as the main bulk of the PA. We sold our van and aren't looking to run another one really, as good as our old PA was it did get tiresome lumping massive subs and a huge rack wheeled rack unit up fire escape stairs in the middle of winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

I'm also reluctant to add extra kit, we had a discussion at rehearsal and the aim is a small rack with the mixer, two full range powered cabs and a cable box on wheels as the main bulk of the PA. We sold our van and aren't looking to run another one really, as good as our old PA was it did get tiresome lumping massive subs and a huge rack wheeled rack unit up fire escape stairs in the middle of winter.

Amp modellers (HX stomps), a little suitcase (on wheels) with all the cables in, two tops, two speaker stands and whatever mic stands you need. Done.

Let the drummer figure out for themselves that a smaller kit miced through a PA sounds better and is easier to carry.

X touch and P16Ms are tiny and light - not an issue to carry.

25 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Amp modellers (HX stomps), a little suitcase (on wheels) with all the cables in, two tops, two speaker stands and whatever mic stands you need. Done.

Let the drummer figure out for themselves that a smaller kit miced through a PA sounds better and is easier to carry.

X touch and P16Ms are tiny and light - not an issue to carry.

We used to play with a drummer who had a tiny little kit, kick drum was only a little bit bigger than a floor tom. Always sounded great mic'd up, he used to leave it set up in his van and carry it out in two trips!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Ignore the “1000 watts” marketing speak. For the most part it means nothing as just about any bargain basement PA speaker these days can claim 1000 peak watts.

What’s your budget?

It'' be buying 2nd hand no doubt. Don't really wanna go more than £300 each ideally. But happy to see what's out there around that price. 

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

It'' be buying 2nd hand no doubt. Don't really wanna go more than £300 each ideally. But happy to see what's out there around that price. 

One of my bands runs Alto Truesonic speakers. We paid £500 second hand for the pair of tops (TS115A) and honestly they're great. 

Edited by Jack

• 3 weeks later...

XR18 turned up a few days ago and used it at rehearsal tonight, finished setting up a few bits when I got in. Seems very capable and is touch friendly on a 12.5" tablet. Very happy with it so far and it doesn't seem like much of a step down from the Mackie stuff in terms of what it can do so thanks for the recommendation. We'll be using it with Alto TS215 tops and a TS215s sub until we can upgrade those so not a bad budget starter setup for in ears.

Inbuilt router is absolutely terrible as mentioned!

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

XR18 turned up a few days ago and used it at rehearsal tonight, finished setting up a few bits when I got in. Seems very capable and is touch friendly on a 12.5" tablet. Very happy with it so far and it doesn't seem like much of a step down from the Mackie stuff in terms of what it can do so thanks for the recommendation. We'll be using it with Alto TS215 tops and a TS215s sub until we can upgrade those so not a bad budget starter setup for in ears.

Well done…enjoy the digital journey 

8 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

To be fair, from a processing point of view, it's probably a bit of a step up from the Mackie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

XR18 turned up a few days ago and used it at rehearsal tonight, finished setting up a few bits when I got in. Seems very capable

I have used an X18 mixer for our band for the past 4 years, before that an XR16. The other day a friend asked me to do the sound for their gig, so I went along and they had a manual mixer. It was really hard getting round the limitations of it going back, I certainly wouldn't want to do that for myself!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have used an X18 mixer for our band for the past 4 years, before that an XR16. The other day a friend asked me to do the sound for their gig, so I went along and they had a manual mixer. It was really hard getting round the limitations of it going back, I certainly wouldn't want to do that for myself!

Yeah just having things like a configurable high pass filter and compression on inputs are things we benefit from (keys player and his wayward patches), not to mention 6 aux sends. Definitely the stuff of dreams compared to the stuff we used when I started gigging.

• Like 2