Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings

TheGreek

I've had flats on my 2 basses for probably 3 or 4 years now (precision and jazz both have flats on them). Both the D'Addario Chromes and Fender Flats both have plenty enough highs (as the article points out).

For a change I put some rounds on my Jazz a few weeks ago, that lasted about 5 days before I put the Chromes back. I really didn't like the whole feel. And I was expecting much more top end fizz.

I'll stick to flats for now 

Steve Harris signature flats are superb. First time I fit them to my old precision I thought the neck was going to snap. They are big, high tension but high clarity strings. They're not as old school as most but they just sound huge and clear and last forever. I don't think I've come across anyone else who has tried them yet. 

I did like Fender flats on my jazz too, that completely changed the character of the bass.

Edited by uk_lefty

There was a thread some time back about inexpensive flatwounds...

A shout for the Adagio 45-100 Regular Tension Flats Offer around £13 on the Bay if anyone is considering giving flats a try... Got em on a couple of electrics and are lovely on the Acoustic Bass.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

There was a thread some time back about inexpensive flatwounds...

A shout for the Adagio 45-100 Regular Tension Flats Offer around £13 on the Bay if anyone is considering giving flats a try... Got em on a couple of electrics and are lovely on the Acoustic Bass.

I’ve just bought a set of these for my new build. I’ve yet to try them but, based on comments from several BCers, hopefully they’ll be perfect for the job. 

51 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I’ve just bought a set of these for my new build. I’ve yet to try them but, based on comments from several BCers, hopefully they’ll be perfect for the job. 

I’ve had a set on one of my jazzes for about 7 years, they are not the brightest flats ,which suits me ,but they are a nice string and great value, I think I paid £10 for mine 

• Like 1