Why become a member? ×

Is September 24th 1991 the greatest day in music history?

Supernaut

For me the greatest day in music history will be when KISS decide to stop once and for all. As release dates 14/9/91 is up there among the best. I still occasionally listen to Nevermind, Badmotorfinger and TLET but am still not a big RHCP and  I've always thought Screamadelica very patchy with 4 or 5 good tracks plus lots of ambient filler. Pixies are probably my fave rock band and Trompe is nearly as good as Doolittle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve-bbb said:

These will be eclipsed by the imminent 50th anniversary of Electric Warrior

no milage variation, couldnt care less if contains traces of nuts

😁

67E90BF5-2197-4F1E-99C4-9B0F6669BBE1.jpeg

I never got T Rex. I've spent time trying to get in to them but just came to the conclusion it's a load of old hippy toss

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Nirvana was good but had no chance of getting any serious attention from me as Pearl Jam's Ten was released a month earlier.

I'm not sure Pearl Jam should ever have been classed as grunge but Ten is up there with the all time greatest rock albums

29 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

At the time Trompe Le Monde seemed to take the slight disappointment of Bossanova and build on it. Reading all the praise here, I figure perhaps I should revisit it.

I was initially disappointed with Bossanova but grabbed by TLM straightaway. So yeah give it a few more spins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm not sure Pearl Jam should ever have been classed as grunge but Ten is up there with the all time greatest rock albums

I think they got lumped into the Grunge title along with a whole host of American bands that were breaking through at that time. Pearl Jam more so than others as they were a Seatle based group. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against The Machine, Mud Honey, L7, Hole, The Offspring, The Breeders etc. All very different musically but part of that scene.

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I think they got lumped into the Grunge title along with a whole host of American bands that were breaking through at that time. Pearl Jam more so than others as they were a Seatle based group. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against The Machine, Mud Honey, L7, Hole, The Offspring, The Breeders etc. All very different musically but part of that scene.

I don't think anyone considers RATM to have anything to do with grunge. 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 10:42, Supernaut said:

Released 30 years ago today...

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.”

Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" was also supposed to be released on this date but was postponed by two weeks due to 'production problems'. 

That's a pretty good week and I've listened to those albums many times (Quest's TLET being the current fave but wearing my BSSM tee shirt today for some reason!).

But... Jellyfish's Bellybutton and Dread Zeppelin's Un-Led-Ed  released in the same week in July '90... Absolutely ffffffflipping brilliant, both albums! In the same week, I kid you not 😃

Guess that depends on your age - I was well past caring by 1991 and will admit to having heard of Nirvana and the chilli pepper, but not the others at all. i certainly couldn't identify music from any of them. So far from the most important day in music history for me - in fact a day of no significance whatsoever in my life.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Guess that depends on your age - I was well past caring by 1991 and will admit to having heard of Nirvana and the chilli pepper, but not the others at all. i certainly couldn't identify music from any of them. So far from the most important day in music history for me - in fact a day of no significance whatsoever in my life.

I think the point is that five incredibly influential rock albums were all released on one day. They may not have been significant to you but all of them were historically important. 

Has there ever been another single day when four or five very influential records were released?

• Like 2

On 25/09/2021 at 23:15, SteveXFR said:

Has there ever been another single day when four or five very influential records were released?

I imagine there were quite a few other such/even more momentous days in the late 60's/70's but I'm buggered if I'm gonna go trawling through every release date of every album to see which ones marry up! lol!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nah, nothin special about any of that. Not that they aren't good albums or anything but greatest day? gimme a break. Any day in 1967 was better, so was any day when Miles Davis was alive, Zep, the day when Robert Johnson went down to the Crossroads, Live Aid, come on man, Nirvana?

1 hour ago, robscott said:

Nah, nothin special about any of that. Not that they aren't good albums or anything but greatest day? gimme a break. Any day in 1967 was better, so was any day when Miles Davis was alive, Zep, the day when Robert Johnson went down to the Crossroads, Live Aid, come on man, Nirvana?

Just because it wasn't your thing doesn't mean it wasn't significant. I can't stand Elvis but I'm not dumb enough to say he wasn't incredibly important in the history of music. 

I don't think Nevermind was Nirvana's best album and I don't think Nirvana were the best grunge band but Nevermind was the album that really started the explosion of grunge in the early 90's. If it wasn't for that record I think grunge would have remained an underground genre and just another branch of punk 

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Just because it wasn't your thing doesn't mean it wasn't significant. I can't stand Elvis but I'm not dumb enough to say he wasn't incredibly important in the history of music. 

I don't think Nevermind was Nirvana's best album and I don't think Nirvana were the best grunge band but Nevermind was the album that really started the explosion of grunge in the early 90's. If it wasn't for that record I think grunge would have remained an underground genre and just another branch of punk 

Agreed. Also for better or for worse the original grungers inspired a whole slew of bands that came after. But as someone else said it all depends on your age. Being a Generation Xer and not a boomer  grunge was the first rock scene that was relevant to me. I like the first generation punk and post punk too but they emerged when I was still in single figures. Anything pre-punk doesn't resonate at all so have zero interest in it.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I like the first generation punk and post punk too but they emerged when I was still in single figures. Anything pre-punk doesn't resonate at all so have zero interest in it.

Interesting. Not even The Stooges or The Monks or any of the 60s garage punk bands? Not having a go, just surprised.

On 25/09/2021 at 12:15, SteveXFR said:

I never got T Rex. I've spent time trying to get in to them but just came to the conclusion it's a load of old hippy toss

You're saying this as if it's a bad thing... :D

T-Rex are a fine band, so was RHCP until Californication... Nevermind has been so overplayed by now that it is close to unsufferable but it for sure was an important album in music history... I could not stand playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in our cover band but hey, people enjoyed it so we did 😬

Everyone's taste will differ. I tried very hard to get into Pearl Jam and especially Ten but never managed to enjoy it. I appreciate the songwriting and the arrangements but it just does not do anything for me... Such is life, there is plenty of music I love than many people cannot stand, and that is fine by me ;)