Why become a member? ×

Is September 24th 1991 the greatest day in music history?

Supernaut

Released 30 years ago today...

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.”

Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" was also supposed to be released on this date but was postponed by two weeks due to 'production problems'. 

• Like 2

Here is a quite extensive overview of some more albums that got released on the same day. My fav combos: 

March 8, 1994: Soundgarden ‘Superunknown and Nine Inch Nails, 'The Downward Spiral' 

Sept 29, 1992: Alice in Chains, 'Dirt' and Stone Temple Pilots, 'Core'

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/albums-released-on-same-day/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.”

Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" was also supposed to be released on this date but was postponed by two weeks due to 'production problems'. 

That's a pretty awesome days listening.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

RHCP and Pixies both released their last good albums on the same day?

It doesn't feel like 30 years.

Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik would have been better if they'd included Soul to Squeeze on it as originally planned.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

13th of February, 1970. Everything else is a footnote in history compared to it 😉

I'm not sure but I'll guess Black Sabbath's first album? The most important album ever released ever in the history of the universe and the birth of heavy metal 

• Haha 1

'The Low End Theory' is the standout of that day for me - the other 3 leave me a bit cold, TBH.

I'm still digging out new-to-me jazz albums now where I'll catch a snippet, and realise that I first heard it on TLET.

Introduced me to a whole world of stuff I'd never have otherwise been exposed to.

Nah from me too.

Many of my mates seemed to have been bewitched by that album; I couldn't work out why.  They were carried along on this faux (well, on their part) wave of Nirvana euphoria; the desperation of really having to like that album when you knew they absolutely detested it.  And don't get me started about hidden tracks, it's there in plain site, FFS.

I doubt I've actually listened to it all the way through since having to endure a 45+ minute car journey with one of the aforementioned mates 30-odd years ago.

The nail in the Nirvana coffin for me was the constant rotation of one or two videos on MTV (when they used to play music videos)...you just reached saturation point

• Like 1

The Nirvana and Pixies albums I bought and loved at the time, but they have have not endured in my listening to today. But can still appreciate the quality.

RHCP peppers I generally don't like, but cant ay I actually know the album.

I Don't know the TCQ album, so can't comment, but they sound OK on the occasional radio plays I hear.

Best day ever? I'll  stick with the OP premise that the best day can be defined by simultaneous album releases.

I'd need to find the release date of all my favourite albums/artists plus some other classic/landmark albums  and see how  they lined up.

I'll let you know when I've done that. Don't hold your breathe!

22 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Out of those albums I have to say that BSSM is the only one I got bored with as the album played.

• Like 1