Why become a member? ×

5 string Vs 4 string drop tuning/hipshot

SumOne

I've never had a d tuner, but I've been in a originals post-rock band where swapping from drop d to regular tuning was required. I just turned on my tuner and retuned between songs. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time. 

I also spent time in a hip hop covers band and a function type band where a 5 string made a lot more sense.

It's all horses for courses.

If you picked up a second hand 4 and have a hunt for a d tuner, and it doesn't work out for you, you could probably pass it on again without losing much. Just don't necessarily get rid of the 5er straight away. Or at all. I like having different basses around that inspire me differently. I feel like sometimes the limitations of a 4 make me play a certain way. Other times, I want a 5 to expand my options. 

• Thanks 1

(For various reasons) 

I ended up with a heavily-strung (50-110) 4 string tuned to D standard. If I want E standard, I put a capo on the second fret.

It wasn't at all what I had envisaged, and was driven by circumstances I hadn't forseen coupled with a touch of laziness on my part. 

The end result is really rather good, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, chris_b said:

D tuners are fine if you have a 4 string bass and want the occasional use of some extra notes, but a 5 string bass is an instrument in its own right, and gives the player so much more than just a few low notes.

It is indeed. 

But for that one song where the vocalist struggles in the original key...

Cheers all.  It looks like there's no Basschat group-think so as with most of these things the conclusion is probably 'try yourself as it's all personal preference'.

I'm gonna keep the 5 but might also get a cheap 4 and muck about with different tunings/hipshot/pedal etc.  I've always been a one Bass person but should probably get over that mindset....it's a slippery slope though!

image.png.69bab193c5004790c726dceac02ddd64.png

Just now, chris_b said:

Why?

What's wrong with being a one bass person?

If it's a good bass and gets the job done, then who needs any more?

Yeah, it's mostly 'want' rather than 'need'. I guess 'the job' to get done can be quite different for someone wanting to play 70's slap to someone wanting to play low-tuned Doom or someone playing 60's Motown so I suppose having different Basses is a bit like having different cars, or bikes, or shoes....they all get the same basic job done, but some are better at specific jobs than others and just make things a bit easier or more fun - not really needed though.