Why become a member? ×

When Nirvana Came to Britain

Eldon Tyrell

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Sorry but I think your sentence ended rather abruptly. I am sure you were meant to say: "Motley Crue continue to be hugely embarrassing"  😉 

Yeah, you can dig up any amount of footage showing Vince Neil over weight and struggling to sing but they have remained one of the highest grossing bands of all time and they are about to embark on another tour. They continue to sell out stadiums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Quite a statement considering Kurt Cobain was responsible for pretty much the most incoherent, drug addled live performances I've ever seen. 

They couldn't even lace the boots of contemporary rock acts like Aerosmith and GnR at the time. 

Kurt Cobain was just one person. I don't personally think Nirvana were the best representatives of grunge, Mudhoney, Tad and Melvins were far, far better live and their shows were just non stop explosive energy.

GNR were pretty much done by then, they'd passed their peak and were on to thar awful punk covers album which was just crap.

I saw Aerosmith live at Donnington monsters of rock in 1994 and they're good but those power ballads really get boring quickly.  We decided it was time to go for a burger about 20 minutes in to their set. On the bright side, they were infinitely better than Extreme who absolutely bombed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

Kurt Cobain was just one person. I don't personally think Nirvana were the best representatives of grunge, Mudhoney, Tad and Melvins were far, far better live and their shows were just non stop explosive energy.

GNR were pretty much done by then, they'd passed their peak and were on to thar awful punk covers album which was just crap.

I saw Aerosmith live at Donnington monsters of rock in 1994 and they're good but those power ballads really get boring quickly.  We decided it was time to go for a burger about 20 minutes in to their set. On the bright side, they were infinitely better than Extreme who absolutely bombed

I love Extreme, I always thought they were massively underrated. Didn't they put them on immediately after Pantera or some other heavy rock band? Hardly surprising they bombed given the audience. 

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yeah, you can dig up any amount of footage showing Vince Neil over weight and struggling to sing but they have remained one of the highest grossing bands of all time and they are about to embark on another tour. They continue to sell out stadiums.

Looks like you are right and they are indeed planning to go on tour again. I thought they had retired. Their last tour was the so-called "The Final Tour" (2014-2015). Maybe they should call the new tour "The Final Tour II". Reminds me a bit of a computer game I played back in the late 80s: "The Last Ninja II" 😉 

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love Extreme, I always thought they were massively underrated. Didn't they put them on immediately after Pantera or some other heavy rock band? Hardly surprising they bombed given the audience. 

They went on between Sepultura and Pantera but they were obviously completely wasted and were just terrible and then threw a tantrum and walked off. I think they'd give up before they came on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They went on between Sepultura and Pantera but they were obviously completely wasted and were just terrible and then threw a tantrum and walked off. I think they'd give up before they came on.

I can't say I'd blame them given the place they were put in the lineup. They never stood a chance. 

Anyway. Back on track. 

So.......

Nirvana. 😁

I think something that's fairly clear is each generation thinks their generations music was the best and anything that came after then was inferior. 

I think this is because you associate that music with a time when you were young, everything was great and you were still attractive to people of the opposite (or same if that's your thing) sex.

• Like 3

Just now, SteveXFR said:

I think something that's fairly clear is each generation thinks their generations music was the best and anything that came after then was inferior. 

I think this is because you associate that music with a time when you were young, everything was great and you were still attractive to people of the opposite (or same if that's your thing) sex.

I think you are right. Mentally, I am still stuck between 87 and 94. Best times ever. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I watched the documentary and the one thing that stood out is the timing. The sexist, conformist, aspirational 80’s scene was dull. Some had found an outlet in the rave scene others found Nirvana. For anyone in their late teens both scenes would have been a massive improvement on the mainstream fodder.

Edit: I was in my early 20’s by the time Nirvana were breaking through and had watched the Pixies, Cramps, Faith No More, Bad Seeds, Mudhoney and Loop at Reading the year before their first Reading outing. I wouldn’t say I was jaded just not the right generation to really get them.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

I've had two near misses with Nirvana...

1) I had a ticket for the London show in 1994 and was disappointed to hear that Kurt had a Rohypnol issue in Rome and wasn't making it to London (rescheduled). Needless to say the ticket for the reschedule was eventually refunded.

2) The second (in '89) was a friend at university exhorting me to go and see Tad with a little known band called Nirvana touring their new album, Bleach. Couldn't be bothered, mainly because I thought Tad were awful and wasn't really switched on to Nirvana at that point. Said friend ended up on the town with the little known support band who slept on his floor after a very jolly night out. He thought Nirvana were 'very nice and were definitely ones to watch' Aha ha ha...

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 3

Just saw this on the news. Must be a big Nirvana fan:

"Enthusiast marks album’s 30th anniversary with 150km ride around Adelaide using Strava to sketch naked baby

Pete Stokes rode about 150km on a single-speed bike to sketch the outline of the famous Nevermind cover. His efforts, tracked by GPS-based site Strava, show the baby’s (slightly angry) face over the CBD and the banknote over the leafy eastern suburbs of Burnside and Kensington."

1170.jpg.e921abc80573d628462a32fe656b8061.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Looks like you are right and they are indeed planning to go on tour again. I thought they had retired. Their last tour was the so-called "The Final Tour" (2014-2015). Maybe they should call the new tour "The Final Tour II". Reminds me a bit of a computer game I played back in the late 80s: "The Last Ninja II" 😉 

Thing is Vince Neil can still actually sing. It's his physique that is letting him down and he is hitting the notes but can't run around and sing anymore. He is apparently trying to get back into shape for this tour. You can hear he hits the notes but doesn't form the words clearly as he's so out of breath.

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I suppose everything is relative depending on your own tastes and experiences. 

There are 4 of my all time favourite bands on that list that I still listen to on a regular basis. Nirvana were barely a footnote for me. It wouldn't even cross my mind to play one of their albums today. For others Nirvana had a massive impact on their musical journey. I was 16 in 1991 when Nirvana were arguably at the peak of their popularity. So exactly the right age to be target audience, yet they somehow just passed me by. I was aware of them, but there was nothing about them that would make me go out of my way to listen to them or go and buy an album. 

Having said that, the floodgates were open on all the Manchester music scene dross at the time which all my friends were into and I absolutely hated. Compared to that Nirvana were Gods. 

The list was just meant as a bit of fun.

Personally I've never been particularly into the 'light heavy metal' of hair bands, although I've seen a few and enjoyed the enough and I even have a copy of Dukken's Back for the Quack.

Mind you I like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. And Blur and Oasis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The list was just meant as a bit of fun.

Personally I've never been particularly into the 'light heavy metal' of hair bands, although I've seen a few and enjoyed the enough and I even have a copy of Dukken's Back for the Quack.

Mind you I like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. And Blur and Oasis.

Sorry. You lost me at Oasis. 😆

7 hours ago, ubit said:

Thing is Vince Neil can still actually sing. It's his physique that is letting him down and he is hitting the notes but can't run around and sing anymore. He is apparently trying to get back into shape for this tour. You can hear he hits the notes but doesn't form the words clearly as he's so out of breath.

Having watched two of the car-crash live videos, I'd say that was being fairly generous to Vince Neil; like saying Phil Collins can still drum, just his physique stops him holding a drumstick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't!

The noughties were a bit shite in places, but things have picked up since then.

That's true. It was quite a bleak time for music with the tail end of nu metal and pop punk combined with the extreme blandness churned out from TV "talent" shows which seemed to be eon by whoever got get the most notes in each syllable. Having said the, there was some great music coming out of the southern US stoner, sludge and doom metal scenes in the early 2000's

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

He can't stand still and sing any more either. Maybe he should just sit down then? 

He needs to get in shape. You can hear that he is hitting the high notes no problem but he's out of breath and his diction suffers because of it. Slowing down would indeed help. Or just get fitter.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having watched two of the car-crash live videos, I'd say that was being fairly generous to Vince Neil; like saying Phil Collins can still drum, just his physique stops him holding a drumstick.

Its not the same though. Phil collins can't physically play drums as he is too frail. Vince Neil can still hit the notes but he's so fat and out of shape that he is breathless when he sings. Losing weight and getting fitter will help him but I'm afraid Phil Collins has no future playing drums.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Its not the same though. Phil collins can't physically play drums as he is too frail. Vince Neil can still hit the notes but he's so fat and out of shape that he is breathless when he sings. Losing weight and getting fitter will help him but I'm afraid Phil Collins has no future playing drums.

Poor Vince. He really needs to get in shape. Maybe he should talk to these guys 😉