iTunes

gareth

I still buy cds and upload them to iTunes on an old laptop so that I can import songs to my iPhone 

I’ve noticed when importing cds to iTunes the speed is really slow

Any ideas how to speed up the process?

Thanks

Mmm....  how much ram have you got on your laptop? How old is laptop? Any stuff you could delete? 

a stab in the dark tbh, ax iTunes has been a pain on and off doing the same thing as you .

I believe it's not iTunes anymore , but Apple Music which may be a factor . ( updates etc) 

Others should be along soon to help.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gareth said:

Windows 7 with up to date itunes

Unfortunately the fact that you are running it under Windows will be at least part, if not all of the problem. iTunes for Windows is a very poor relation to iTunes on the Mac mostly because when it was being developed Microsoft would not give Apple access to various deep hooks in the OS which had been used on the Mac version, and therefore the Windows version is a bit of a kludge held together with Quicktime for Windows that has to run as two separate but communicating apps rather than being streamlined into the OS. Also I suspect that Apple would far rather you bought a Mac so it's not in their ultimate interests to push too hard to get it up to the same degree of functionality and sophistication to the Mac version. Much in the same way that MS Office for the Mac is lacking in features and functionality, and lags behind in terms of updates, compared with the Widows versions.

OoI what sorts of import speeds are you getting? I get somewhere between x5 and x10 depending on the CD for import - this is on a 12 year old Mac with an equivalently ancient optical drive. I am importing to a dedicated drive that is exclusively reserved for my iTunes library. TBH the import speed (or possible lack of it) has never really bothered me. It's a one-time only procedure that I usually run whist doing something else.

The other things to consider are:

1. Your optical drive may be on its way out. Can you try an alternative external drive and compare speeds?

2. What sort of drive are you importing to? HD or SSD is it the same drive that holds you apps and OS? It may be getting full and/or, it it's not an SSD, fragmented.

3. What format are you using to import your CDs? This shouldn't make a lot of difference because modern computers should have plenty of processing power, but if you are using one of the compressed formats (MP3 or AAC) there will be some additional processing overhead (may be noticeable if you are running a lot of background processes), whilst importing as uncompressed WAVs will require more disc writing time (see point 2).

4. Your AV software might be interfering with the importing process. It might be worth doing a quick comparison test with it turned off.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do the same i.e. CDs ripped to Itunes.

I used to have this issue on a previous (Windows 7) laptop - I bought an external CD drive & this sped things up no end.

I now have a newer windows 10 laptop & do not have this issue with the internal drive anymore.

• Thanks 1

Just now, gareth said:

@BigRedXthanks for that detailed post - my speeds sometimes up to 7 but then tends to tail off to less than 1 unless I restart it

Where is your iTunes library located? On the same drive as the OS and your other apps and data?

How big is that drive and how much free space does it have?

How much RAM does your computer have.

The fact that you are getting reasonable speeds to start off with and then it drops off would suggest that other processes are getting in the way the longer your computer is running. Next time you start encountering iTunes slow-downs, try quitting all the other open applications, leave it for 10 minutes for the computer to purge the portions of the drive it is using as virtual memory and then see what happens when you try and import a CD.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The fact that you are getting reasonable speeds to start off with and then it drops off would suggest that other processes are getting in the way the longer your computer is running. 

Either this or the laser mechanism in the CD drive starts to have issues when it gets to a certain distance out from the beginning of the disc…

• Thanks 1

Sounds to me like the CD/DVD drive or PC rather than Windows. I used to find my old internal DVD drive was a bit moody when doing this sort of thing. I brought a cheap USB drive and the speed was not only noticeably faster, it was constant. We ended up replacing all the drives at work with these USB ones, and it stopped a lot of moaning. 

• Thanks 1