Why become a member? ×

50s Precision comparison (Fender, Sire, Squier, HB)

hooky_lowdown

22 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

didn’t notice much difference between the Squier & the Fender.

Really? The Fender is more punchy and warm I thought. The Sire looks cool, although not sure why they put black dot inlays on a dark roasted neck, can barely see them.

The Squier really lacked presence, definitely the worst, HB more than holds its own.

To my ear the - listening on a pooter with Presonus studio speakers - Fender and Sire sound dull and lifeless. The Squier sounds better, but the output is clearly low. The HB sounds really rather nice, never mind for the money.

However, the review rates them in reverse - It's all in the ear of the beholder!

Interestimgly, my otherwise identical Squier weighs over half a kilo less than the reviewers, which shows the variability between chunks of wood from different individual trees. It also demonstrates how pointless the 'how much does the XYZ bass weigh?' questions are that we see - it weighs as much as each individual bass weighs.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

Considering he's not done any tweaking the HB sounds very good for the money, the sound could probably be improved with some EQ'ing. I hate unfinished necks but if it was for a rough outdoor gig or somewhere dodgy where you wouldnt want to take a USA Fender then it would have to be a consideratrion. The Japanese Fender is way overpriced for what it is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KevB said:

I hate unfinished necks

It's not unfinished , it's a satin finish.

I'll take the satin finish on my Harley Benton over the gloss on my Fenders every time . Truth is ; my Paisley Fender is a lovely bass but the HB PB-50's see 95% of the playing. 

Boy in the video said he played the basses with "out of the box" set ups but tweaked the Squier TR due to excess relief , raising the Squier pickup might have improved the output.

The HB came over a little wooly in the lows but dang that's high value.

The Sire was down overall which is really unfair to it. Louder really is 'better' most of the time. Trying just to hear it for itself it was very pleasing in the mids so might have done very well with a simple gain compensation.

In the 4 way demo the Fender cut through consistently, dammit I really wanted to not like that overpriced toy. The Squire did a reasonable pass at the same trick but without the chimes.