Why become a member? ×

Nice collection of isolated original basslines

cetera

Just stumbled across this cracking selection of isolated original basslines.

Interesting to hear the original recorded tones and playing behind some iconic lines: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEsDszgMi-LZBRKgKUeS6vg/search?query=bass

Click on the 'Videos' tab to hear ALL the other isolated vocal, guitar, keys, etc etc audio files

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

People figured out how to extract the files from the Guitar Hero / Rock Band video games, so any songs that have ever featured in those will have multi-track stems floating around the web. They usually get taken down by copyright claims whenever they're posted publicly like this, but inevitably they pop up again somewhere else soon after 😆. You can download the whole lot in one go if you know where to look - I''d guessing the owner of the channel has done that, and is using a script to upload them.

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Again the usual interesting assortment of tinny, scratchy, driven, fret-buzzing bass-lines that end up sounding so good in the mix. I don’t think I’ll ever be not amazed by this.

Same here. You hear Steve Harris isolated bass and it sounds relatively rough (certainly not the dead on, syncopated track I would expect.) It just shows what a real band sounds like and what makes it so organic.

I remember many years ago we did a demo in a studio. We played the songs in one take and listened back. I remember saying I'm going to have to re-do the bass. It sounds rough as hell. The engineer said leave it with me, I will tidy it up. I couldn't believe it. He made me sound really good in the final mix.

Edited by ubit

22 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

There’s a lot of videos on that site, It would make browsing easier it they would have separated the content into  various playlists 

There's so many (thousands?), that my laptop ground to a halt. It was impossible to view them all. Not complaining - just staggered at the number of files.

• Like 1

During the first lockdown last year i started playing around with a demo of a program called Spectrlayers. I have the cut down version now, but the full version has presets for extracting different instruments from a mix (drums/guitars/bass/vocals etc). Its very clever and can even keep effects like reverb intact with vocals etc. 

I used it to get bass lines from songs i couldn't quite hear clearly. I could then listen to them in isolation, or boost the level to bring them out of the mix (or lower the rest of the mix). Quite clever and for a laugh i took Paul Weller’s vocals off his recording of Town Called Malice and put it on our recording of it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh dissapointing, I have played money for nothing for many years, no problem. listened to the isolated bass line, absolutely nothing like I play. Back to the drawing board!

Arent these just like those Top of the Pops albums we used to get. Not the original artist's, so not always spot on?

Ive heard a few isolated tracks and know 100% they aren't as played on the original recordings. 

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Arent these just like those Top of the Pops albums we used to get. Not the original artist's, so not always spot on?

Ive heard a few isolated tracks and know 100% they aren't as played on the original recordings. 

Some are actual tracks and some are from different recordings. I have Spleeter though which can isolate tracks, although obviously not as clean as the original recording, so I think I need to isolate the album track and see how close it is.

- edit

Ran it through spleeter, it was a different version as the version I was using was a lot longer, but no, if that is a different bassplayer on the isolated recording he is spot on the style of the Mr Illsley

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Some are actual tracks and some are from different recordings. I have Spleeter though which can isolate tracks, although obviously not as clean as the original recording, so I think I need to isolate the album track and see how close it is.

Some of the isolated bass tracks ive heard over the years have been just as poor as most of the tabs out there. Ok, they weren’t  advertised as the originals, but when you see the phase ‘isolated bass’ you would think its going to be the original. 

Still very useful to get a grip on how a song goes though.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I (obviously🤪) haven't listened to all of them, but the couple I have listened to sound like the genuine artist. Certainly, "Money for Nothing" is the real McCoy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t you play at all now dave 

Not at the moment, only at home when recording. I was preparing to go back to bass as i knew most of the songs, but that would have left us without a keys player. We were lucky that we found someone who knew a lot of our songs already, as we have gigs very soon but only 4 rehearsals (max) to get ready for them. 

I do miss it, but the band would miss keys more. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few lol.

• Like 1