Why become a member? ×

ACG Salace E Type Headless 5

pantherairsoft

Hi folks, 

I thought I'd post this up to track progress over the coming months.

After far too long flirting with the idea, I finally pulled the plug on an ACG. I've had a lust for one since selling (and regretting it) my custom 32" scale Roscoe some years ago. These days, the cost of getting a Roscoe made to the spec of my old bass and shipping it to the UK is... astronomical. Something about 32" scale just works for me so well and despite trying to get back to playing 34-35" scale basses, it just wasn't working out for me. As such, I needed to turn my eye to other 32" scale options the wouldn't disappoint, so of course, I instantly turned to ACG. 

I'm a big fan of single cut shapes, so when Alan told me he had a Salace E Type currently in production that wasn't yet claimed I got quite excited. Add to this that he called it a 'test to see just how light that body shape could be'... colour me very interested. After exchanging some thoughts and spec discussion, I pulled the trigger.

So, here is the spec...

Salace E Type Headless

5 string (strung E-C)

Paulownia body with Indian Cedar top

5 piece Ash/Purpleheart bolt on neck

Wenge fingerboard with 30" radius

Hipshot hardware (18mm string spacing)

East Uni-Pre 4k preamp

2x ACG FB pickups, with a Wenge (to match the fretboard) ramp between them

The body is well along and looking stunning. This body is currently sub 3lbs, meaning the final weight of the bass likely to come in far lighter than most basses I've ever played. As someone who has long term neck and shoulder issues, this is nothing short of exciting. Here is a pic. Note that it is the bottom of the 4 fretboards that I'm going with (the Wenge one).

51488081517_17422bb1e5_b.thumb.jpg.86fb7e368ee406795159595c479fff1b.jpg

I'll post more updates and images as I have them over the coming weeks and months.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2021 at 19:36, pantherairsoft said:

30” radius, so not quite flat.

My Finn 5 has a 30” radius, it’s great. Though I’d be very hard pushed to tell the difference between that and my flat Skelf 5er 😅

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hardware fitted, strung my my string of choice (Black Beauties) and fitting the Wenge ramp (to match the fingerboard). It's getting super close now!

Apparently the finished weight with hardware rocks in at 6.8lb (just under 3.1kg) - it's risen somewhat since the light weight body was spec'd out, I assume largely due to the hardware, but still overall very light. I'm super excited to get this in my hands!

277838947_1129383464567665_1710056980182261241_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived today.

Initial impressions - stunning!

I had some quite specific wants from the placement, radius and feel of the ramp (trying to emulate the feel of a bass I once owned and loved, and which really helped my playing style). Alan absolutely nailed those aspects, while making a stunningly lightweight and well-balanced instrument. The ACG flavour is really clear and it compliments the spec I put together perfectly. I can honestly say that its day-1 'wow' factor has surpassed any other bass I've ever owned.

I'm very much a 'feel is more important than tone' person, but the tone here is also outstanding. Clear, transparent and very punchy. You'd never think this was super lightweight.

I can't wait to spend some time finding my way around it!

• Like 8