Why become a member? ×

Which Yamaha?

NicoMcJ

I’ll be buying a 5 string bass tomorrow and after lots of research I had settled on the TRBX-305.  It just seems to be a very well designed and made bass, with not much counting against it.

However, during my “due diligence” process I found a used RBX-375 in very good condition for a bit less money.

I’m a player who plays a massively wide range of music, from Hard Rock to Heavy Metal, with a mix of fingerstyle and pick.  Is one of these instruments more

likely to suit me than the other? Or should I just go for the cheaper option?

6DDD717C-D95D-4984-A03D-5FDCE5C444AE.jpeg

E098BB22-95BC-4B35-8A1C-29B501C8A9AF.jpeg

They're very similar in many ways, and you can't go wrong with either. The most noticeable differences will be the neck finish (matte black lacquer on the RBX375 which will quickly polish to gloss from playing it a lot, natural satin on the TRBX305) and the control options (the TRBX305 has an added switch with a few preset EQ options). The guitarist in my band has the RBX375 and it is easy to play, looks great and sounds great, but I find the neck feels a bit plasticky. Personally I would much prefer the satin laquer on the TRBX neck. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

They're very similar in many ways, and you can't go wrong with either. The most noticeable differences will be the neck finish (matte black lacquer on the RBX375 which will quickly polish to gloss from playing it a lot, natural satin on the TRBX305) and the control options (the TRBX305 has an added switch with a few preset EQ options). The guitarist in my band has the RBX375 and it is easy to play, looks great and sounds great, but I find the neck feels a bit plasticky. Personally I would much prefer the satin laquer on the TRBX neck. 

Great info - thank you!

8 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

As a TRBX owner, I would say yes the neck finish is very nice.

As someone who felt frustrated by the pickups on their TRBX604, I would say, be sure not to let anyone talk you into "upgrading" to the 505 or 605, especially given the styles you play. (You've probably worked that out for yourself)

I’d be one of those. The TRBX505 is phenomenal instrument for the price

13 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’d be one of those. The TRBX505 is phenomenal instrument for the price

The truth is you won’t go wrong with any Yamaha instrument.

I'm not saying that my TRBX604 was not also a phenomenal instrument for the price, really beautifully made, but since it wasn't the right instrument for me, I definitely did go wrong with it. Fortunately the answer was another Yamaha, a BB :i-m_so_happy:

When I was a guitarist a long long time ago, I was only interested in humbuckers; unfortunately it has taken me a while to clock that bass humbuckers come in a variety of styles.

I felt I was constantly battling my TRBX to try to get a sound that felt like my own, one that had both depth and focus. I only really understood when I got a BB as well. Once my hands had got used to the BB's much chunkier neck, it was all over for the TRBX.

When I bought the 604, I was definitely going to be buying either a TRBX or an Ibanez SR, because at the time I wanted the thinnest, most shallow neck I could find, but I should have gone for the 304, as their pickups make a sound closer to what I want, for £250 less.

Which is why I wrote that ^^^^ to someone who thinks the 305 will be the right bass for them: although the 505 and 605 warrant their higher prices, their sounds might be further away from what they want.

Meanwhile I do honestly hope that out there are plentiful people who find the beautiful and versatile 604 with its unbelievably easy neck the perfect bass for them... because then mine will get bought from the shop it's on sale in... ;)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
tipe oh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm not saying that my TRBX604 was not also a phenomenal instrument for the price, really beautifully made, but since it wasn't the right instrument for me, I definitely did go wrong with it. Fortunately the answer was another Yamaha, a BB :i-m_so_happy:

When I was a guitarist a long long time ago, I was only interested in humbuckers; unfortunately it has taken me a while to clock that bass humbuckers come in a variety of styles.

I felt I was constantly battling my TRBX to try to get a sound that felt like my own, one that had both depth and focus. I only really understood when I got a BB as well. Once my hands had got used to the BB's much chunkier neck, it was all over for the TRBX.

When I bought the 604, I was definitely going to be buying either a TRBX or an Ibanez SR, because at the time I wanted the thinnest, most shallow neck I could find, but I should have gone for the 304, as their pickups make a sound closer to what I want, for £250 less.

Which is why I wrote that ^^^^ to someone who thinks the 305 will be the right bass for them: although the 505 and 605 warrant their higher prices, their sounds might be further away from what they want.

Meanwhile I do honestly hope that out there are plentiful people who find the beautiful and versatile 604 with its unbelievably easy neck the perfect bass for them... because then mine will get bought from the shop it's on sale in... ;)

There are os many variables at work here: instrument itself, playing style, amplification etc. that it's impossible for us to second guess. The only way is to A/B test them I guess. I've got a fair few Yamaha basses (5 I think), and I love them all (apart from the 35" scale TRB which is too unwieldy).

52 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

When you say " a bit less money" if it isn't a significant amount (which, being a Yamaha, it probably isn't) why would you not go for the upgraded model?

It ended up being £120 less, or roughly 68.8% of the price! Bargain!

• Like 3