Why become a member? ×

Barefaced tolex issues?

Trueno

Thinking of buying a Barefaced 1x10 for a superlight rehearsal rig. I’ve read about peeling tolex and don’t want to drop £500 (with cover and silver grill) on a peely-tolexy type thing. The website seems to say that Gen 3 cabs have a whizzy new coating on. What do BC’ers think?

I will be contacting Barefaced, but as they want my 500 quid they’ll tell me owt… that was a joke, by the way…

3 minutes ago, lownote said:

Having had both, BF are so light weight isn't an issue. Obv one 210 is bulkier.  Ohmage could be an issue but the BF 210s is switchable. IMHO the 2x110 set up in black grille would be best for me and looks the dogs. But YMMV. 

That’s plan A for me. Get one for rehearsals and get a second 1x10 if and when the next gig arises.

If it helps, I have really early 210s (I think serial numbers 9 and 10?).  I bought them new around 2015.  I think these were Alex's first main foray into Tolex.

I had peeling issues.  I only live about half an hour away from Barefaced, so took them back and got a temp repair in 2016. - it didn't last.

I was quite poorly around 2017, but Alex kindly had another look once I was well enough to take them back around 2018.  He showed me some sort of hot glue rolling machine they had bought for Tolex (looked like an old washing mangle) and talked through some of the issues they'd had.

I left the cabs with him, so not sure how they repaired them, whether they glued the edges or pulled the Tolex fully off and replaced but I've had no issues since. 

22 minutes ago, Trueno said:

That’s plan A for me. Get one for rehearsals and get a second 1x10 if and when the next gig arises.

I had a pair for ages. I really liked them.

I sold them when I got a Super Twin which I also love, but I'm thinking about getting another One10 for when the ST is a bit silly to take with me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trueno said:

Thinking of buying a Barefaced 1x10 for a superlight rehearsal rig. I’ve read about peeling tolex and don’t want to drop £500 (with cover and silver grill) on a peely-tolexy type thing. The website seems to say that Gen 3 cabs have a whizzy new coating on. What do BC’ers think?

I will be contacting Barefaced, but as they want my 500 quid they’ll tell me owt… that was a joke, by the way…

I have a fairly old Barefaced Super Twelve with the stippled paint finish.  Barefaced supply a touch up kit, and the gloopy paint is so easy to apply. My cab looks (and sounds) like new after a good few years of regular gigs. Personally I prefer stippled paint or carpet to tolex. Trace Elliot used to use a really tough tolex (Kevlar?), but decent glue is key to any non-paint covering.

Edited by BassManGraham

16 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

I have a fairly old Barefaced Super Twelve with the stippled paint finish.  Barefaced supply a touch up kit, and the gloopy paint is so easy to apply. My cab looks (and sounds) like new after a good few years of regular gigs. Personally I prefer stippled paint or carpet to tolex. Trace Elliot used to use a really tough tolex (Kevlar?), but decent glue is key to any non-paint covering.

Yes… just noticed you can order the stippled finish for a bit extra… I like the look of it. I have tolex on two Rumbles and an Orange amp and never has any issues.

2018 tolex peeled and as of 2019 Alex apparently had no way of fixing my cabs, so I sold them as is.  Not sure if the glue has changed since then.

I would avoid the tolex finish and ask for the painted finish, that's solid and easy to touch up too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kev said:

2018 tolex peeled and as of 2019 Alex apparently had no way of fixing my cabs, so I sold them as is.  Not sure if the glue has changed since then.

I would avoid the tolex finish and ask for the painted finish, that's solid and easy to touch up too.

Both glue and tolex were changed in 2019 AIUI

I ended up selling my 2x210’s on fairly quickly - great cabs, but not really what I was after. In my opinion, they would have benefited having a tweeter. Therefore I’d consider a 110t - although I haven’t seen any reviews on them just yet

Also, I asked Alex during the buying process about the tolex. He confirmed that was no longer a problem.

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1