Why become a member? ×

Wal-style knobs - anyone produce them?

Bass Culture

I'm looking for a set of this for a rather special new build I've commissioned from Mike Walsh (Zoot Bass).  There's a guy in the states who makes them but the cost ($65 a set) including delivery, VAT (in all likelihood) and import duties makes them very expensive (as £65/70 expensive!).  I'm sure someone will suggest posting to the Wal Facebook group, and I will do that, but can anyone here recommend anything similar?  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, ped said:

Tbh that doesn’t seem like a bad price for a set (assuming four?) if they’re decent. 

Good Lord - really?!  I am out of touch!  I think the originals are milled aluminium, aren't they?  The ones I'm talking about are cast resin.  They have the gradations etched but these aren't highlighted in white as on the originals.  If that's all there is out then I guess it's a seller's market.

1 minute ago, Bass Culture said:

Good Lord - really?!  I am out of touch!  I think the originals are milled aluminium, aren't they?  The ones I'm talking about are cast resin.  They have the gradations etched but these aren't highlighted in white as on the originals.  If that's all there is out then I guess it's a seller's market.

Yes I think so. So maybe not so great then. But I don’t think that would be too bad for a set of original spec and material copies. Anything Wal is definitely a sellers market at the moment!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/09/2021 at 08:54, BlueMoon said:

With a bit of work, these Framus Vintage knobs will get you almost there.

Here they are on my Wal bitsa.

IMG_0138.thumb.jpg.d64b6e6df36d7a0d73befb9094425e9a.jpgIMG_0154.thumb.jpg.dee7ad7c14f07b467267aba228589209.jpg

This looks like a great solution to the Wal-ish bass project I am working on. May I ask, how did you add the numbers to those knobs? 

Pete

I first prepared the knobs for paint by filling the V/T indentations on the top of each knob as well as the indent on the rim of each. Undercoat and then matt black coating. The numbers, letters and markers were prepared using white laser water slide decal film and transferring the appropriately resized images from a simple PC software. The hardest part was the alignment of each of the numbers/letters and getting the angles and spacing correct. When I was happy, I fixed the decals using satin lacquer.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 15/12/2022 at 23:44, BlueMoon said:

I first prepared the knobs for paint by filling the V/T indentations on the top of each knob as well as the indent on the rim of each. Undercoat and then matt black coating. The numbers, letters and markers were prepared using white laser water slide decal film and transferring the appropriately resized images from a simple PC software. The hardest part was the alignment of each of the numbers/letters and getting the angles and spacing correct. When I was happy, I fixed the decals using satin lacquer.

The result looks really good. Amazing craftsmanship.
May I ask how and with what you filled the V/T indentations? 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2021 at 09:54, BlueMoon said:

With a bit of work, these Framus Vintage knobs will get you almost there.

Here they are on my Wal bitsa.

IMG_0154.thumb.jpg.dee7ad7c14f07b467267aba228589209.jpg

Funny how we did the same thing with the bridge, a mix of a Chrome and Black 3D Schallers :D

edit : even the screws lol

Edited by remizik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

just to let you know that I just started making some myself with a SLA Printer.

I just got the printer yesterday so I'm still prototyping, but the results are already pretty good :

image.png.8f1e595316cd0254e31db57340e0e10f.png

After painting the numbers, cleaning up and varnishing (ignore the delamination at the bottom, I was trying to print it with support under) 

image.png.646b64c80d849d24421f1e4033f82d09.png

I have no idea how these would age, I'm going to leave some outside in the sun during summer and some under water in the garage.

If anyone is interested for some, shoot me a MP, but I need some more time to experiment

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

a quick update,

looks like the resin printed knobs are holding very well.

I have a couple for more than a month underwater and they are still perfectly fine.

Also left 3 in the sun/rain outside for the same amount of time, still looking great.

Here's the last batch I made (printed, painted the markings, lacquered).

FIY, the whole process of cleaning the resin prints, painting the numbers/letters and finishing takes about 3 hours of work..

image.thumb.png.7c87bff146e7d5731a7cb76f11e40251.png

Not a big fan of the shinny laquer, the mat one looks much better.

Also the prints have a weird line defect, which will be corrected in the next prints.

Edited by remizik
  • Like 3