Why become a member? ×

Bassist's Basses That You Liked?

Linus27

(Apologies if this has been picked already...)

Even if you're not a fan of his playing, Billy Sheehan is a hard guy to dislike. I love everything about this bass - from the grafted in mudbucker to the hotel room bodged repairs, via the almost falling to bits pickguard. It's stinky and roadworn and gorgeous.Most-Gigged-P-Bass-29-08-20-HERO.thumb.jpg.2c95b28d56137b3a98fa087052a0dddc.jpg

There's some nice footage of him playing and talking about it here:

• Like 7

8 hours ago, pst62 said:

Nigel Griggs' Mockingbird.

Griggs.jpg

ahh yea

nice choice, check out Jerome preston's bcr,, sounds clear as a bell..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfRjihu2rY

if we are talking lust here , i only ever really  REALLY wanted two basses owned by others,

1 was bluey to me by far the best looking wal ever made, this was built for bill zorn when this came up for auction mike beat me to it i was so gypsy's kissed off, esp when i had sold him 4 of my wals, but... hes a nice guy, but i still want it so bad.

1888984369_bluewalface.jpg.247df35a44227d0c9d0fd0ff3e20d9c3.jpg

the other is Henry thomas's G&L i would love that it was the first G&L i had seen, and it all started righ here 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cow said:

Interesting, how so? The pickup mod? 

No, that’s an easy mod to do. Everything else! I replaced the white scratch plate on mine with a black one but left the truss rod cover white and - whilst that’s not entirely uncommon and is an even easier mod - it just looks like mine. Not saying it is though, I’d have had to see it in real life. I do wonder where mine went. Serial number TC915, just in case. 😉

18 hours ago, funkgod said:

if we are talking lust here , i only ever really  REALLY wanted two basses owned by others,

1 was bluey to me by far the best looking wal ever made, this was built for bill zorn when this came up for auction mike beat me to it i was so gypsy's kissed off, esp when i had sold him 4 of my wals, but... hes a nice guy, but i still want it so bad.

1888984369_bluewalface.jpg.247df35a44227d0c9d0fd0ff3e20d9c3.jpg

I love that Wal - fabulous. 

• 1 year later...
On 23/09/2021 at 11:59, Andermtc said:

Rory MacDonald from Runrigs Trans Teal Musicman Stingray, which was why I bought one.
(Terrible picture but all the decent pictures of Rory playing have him using a Black Stingray.)

image.png.e968deef604194f407214f85a626f72d.png

A fellow Runrig fan! Just stumbled on this when google Rory’s old Wal mk1. Yes, his teal MM was a great looking thing; I wonder what he did with it when they retired? I have his bass picks from the Final Mile Tour; be nice to add one of his old basses too! Runrig are the reason I got into music, and picked up a bass guitar! 

• Like 1

Russell B Jackson's Precision bass.

In the mid 80's I saw a video of Russell B Jackson playing with BB King. He was the first guy I saw with a modded Precision. The P pickup is hidden under the cover but he's added 2 Bartolini Jazz pickups. I was so intrigued that after several visits to the Bass Centre I installed a Bartolini pickup on my Precision. That was a 1000% improvement and the first time I'd owned a bass that sounded like my records.

I've never owned a bad or even average sounding bass since, all thanks to Mr Jackson.

image.png.760bb0b0140bc46ed30585c45db8a4d6.png

3 minutes ago, Wylie said:

Nick Seymour's (Crowded House) Geddy Lee Fender Jazz. Liked his playing so much I bought one. Strangely, I haven't come up to his level of playing . . .

Stick with it..........the geddy bass will eventually release its awesome power and allow you to play better, faster and with more precision. Be patient my young student. :tatice_03:

Dave :santa2:

A friend has an old bat wing Harmony V22. They were not expensive basses back in the day , but it seems they are now. With old flats they do have a wonderful deep woody old school thump. 
And I’d love to find one. 
It’s funny , right up until the reissues came out they were not that expensive , but prices rose quickly one the reissues became available. 

99ACC721-F99A-4710-BE98-3ABB7243E123.webp

McCartney had me drooling over Rickenbackers , and there were a pile of other famous players with them. The only problem was that they were incredibly hard to find in Nova Scotia. I spent years hoping to find one.

Eventually picked up one visiting Toronto, and I managed to get one that just fit me perfectly. It still feels like home whenever I pick it up. I still get a little weak in the knees when I look at it. I’ve had it for close to 25 years now.

• Like 1