Why become a member? ×

Bassist's Basses That You Liked?

Linus27

On 21/09/2021 at 19:08, NJE said:

I am currently loving everything Lee Sklar. His two basses seem like they could cover everything. So shocked Fender haven’t jumped on the band wagon with his precision, and this Dingwall shape in a solid colour is incredible.

image.thumb.jpeg.db0ecd74223ed14f3ff39664c6a1c510.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.927de3ed3be0b702da9c401fffa89c56.jpeg

Not forgetting of course, his signature Warwick...

The-New-Lee-Sklar-Signature-Model-From-Warwick-Custom-Shop-Masterbuilt.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Not sure if he has been mentioned already but always loved Dusty Hills playing even though I’m not really a ZZ Top fan. The sound and  look was perfect for the band.

11CD5A70-9E54-4FF4-9B76-4C1E726955F2.jpeg

That looks like it's been painted by a hot rod pin striper, I know all of ZZ Top were hot rod owners.

I rarely listen to ZZ Top but they've definitely influenced a lot of my favourite bands. 

Isn't this thread more about your favourite basses that well known players play, isn't it?  😂

I'll admit that I was drawn to Thunderbirds because of Overend Watts and Rickenbackers because of Steve Priest, but I'd cite the one-offs or rarer instruments than stock/off the shelf/you-can-buy-these-at-any-music-shop Precisions/Jazz/whatever basses; so I'd err with Mick Karn's later model Travis Bean (wide horns, so any post-600 serial number) or Gene Simmons doublecut Lobue bass. 

mick-karn_1.jpg

-The-Demon-god-of-thunder-28572430-399-5

• Like 1

It has taken a side stream but the original question was more about what famous bass players basses do you like. 

When i started reading the thread and was about to comment i mistakenly took it as signature basses. 

I have the Thumb NT that Jack Bruce had and have the Geddy Jazz signature. I did have the WAL fretless in 80's when i was into Percy Jones.

Now i'm looking at Geddy's Ric bass more for the tone and look. Might even sell my Thumb NT to fund it as not using it these days.

Dave

image.png.2ad6ec4365b84dc85d9a3f87331dda46.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Yeah, the thread is about the basses you saw that you liked regardless of if you like the bassist or their music. For example, I included Jaco's Jazz as its a gorgeous looking thing but I'm not really a Jaco fan or listen to his music at all, I just love the look of his fretless Jazz bass. So it's not about signature basses, who has the most iconic bass, its purely about what basses YOU like that you've seen other bassist play.

On 21/09/2021 at 23:41, drTStingray said:

The wonderful Bernard Edwards - 1977 Musicman Stingray (I know the bass has been mentioned before - no disrespect to John Taylor, but you can’t beat Bernard playing it). 

I thought it was more honest of me to show it with John Taylor, because it was thanks to BE leaving it to JT in his will that I first heard and learnt about BE.

Though obviously when I was a child I was enjoying Sister Sledge at the same time I was enjoying Duran Duran :)

No pics here but...

Geddy's Ric(s)

Lemmy's Ric(s)

Geezer's P, BC Rich Eagle & JayDee Roadie (though I do recall watching the "Never Say Die" tour vid on TV many years ago, with him using Glenn Hughes Ric)

Cliff's Ric & the Aria Pro II Elite

Scott Reeder's Ric

Ron Holzner's BC Rich Mockingbird

• Like 1