Why become a member? ×

Bassist's Basses That You Liked?

Linus27

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Wasn’t he primarily a guitarist before the Beatles? A short scale less bulky instrument may just feel more natural?

Considering he played a Wal for years, along with a Rickenbacker and others (including the Yamaha) this is unlikely. 

I understand Elvis Costello persuaded him to resurrect the Hofner, at the start of the ‘everything must be vintage 60s’ fad and hoodoo - prior to that McCartney had considered it an instrument which would be out of tune as much as in tune - however he managed to get someone to fix it so that it was more reliable - not sure what the sound’s like though.

I have always liked his tone whatever bass he has been using, but it’s clear the Wal is far and away the best of all - however the weight of instruments becomes more of an issue for performance as age increases and no doubt the featherweight Hofner is great from that point of view. 

It’s incredible to think some of our famous artists are now octogenarians. 

• Like 1

Another couple of great influences of mine from the past - literally big hitters of the bass guitar (whacked hell out of the strings)!!

Leo Lyons (Ten Years After) - Fender Jazz

90B30511-418D-4F95-9274-832444EBC75B.thumb.jpeg.4484de5e6c579fa6fe3e2f572409ed0d.jpeg

Larry (The Mole) Taylor - Canned Heat; John Mayall - Fender Precision (I liked the sunburst one he usually played but this picture shows him playing a black slab bodied Precision - which is OK as well)!!

50BEB60D-D7BA-4C7C-BD0A-61A94BE3A04D.thumb.jpeg.1386040e5919a81a3c63cfd7aa54d298.jpeg

Sunburst with obligatory curly lead - playing a 10th (v unusual in 1968)!! 

71103549-7937-4BEA-AF64-8A6F7871EBED.thumb.jpeg.f1697006ab188fde347ea64dce8e4250.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Considering he played a Wal for years, along with a Rickenbacker and others (including the Yamaha) this is unlikely. 

I understand Elvis Costello persuaded him to resurrect the Hofner, at the start of the ‘everything must be vintage 60s’ fad and hoodoo - prior to that McCartney had considered it an instrument which would be out of tune as much as in tune - however he managed to get someone to fix it so that it was more reliable - not sure what the sound’s like though.

I have always liked his tone whatever bass he has been using, but it’s clear the Wal is far and away the best of all - however the weight of instruments becomes more of an issue for performance as age increases and no doubt the featherweight Hofner is great from that point of view. 

It’s incredible to think some of our famous artists are now octogenarians. 

Apparently it was light and looked fine upside down for a lefty!

From a recent interview with McCartney's people about recording his most recent album:

Keith: 90% of it was the number one Hofner 500/1. Paul’s got other Hofners, and he’s got other basses. He’s got his Rickenbacker - the Ricky from the 1970s and a Wal five-string and a couple of other things that we’ll occasionally drag out if he wants to try something different. But 9 times out of 10, he’ll pick up the Hofner. When he plays the Hofner you can tell it’s just part of him. It’s so organic and such a natural feel and sound for him, and it always sounds phenomenal. For years I’ve been trying to find a really good spare. I think we’ve got about 12 other Hofners, some of them I’ve acquired to try and be the number two spare, and it’s only just happened in the last year or so where Nick from Hofner came over and we went through every little bit of Paul’s. He ended up building a number two from ’61 and ’62 parts. But this one, the number one, he just picks it up and plays it and it sounds great. It’s one of the most unique sounding - not just basses, but Hofners.

Steve: It doesn’t sound like any other Hofner. Sometimes they can be quite hard to record, Hofners. They can be really subby without a lot of tone to them, it’s all woof. But there’s something unique about Paul’s one, maybe it’s just the amount of music that’s gone through it from his fingers! It’s like a good old acoustic guitar, there’s something about how the wood absorbs all of those frequencies.

Keith: I think I’ve noticed with the Rickenbaker - it doesn’t change his playing style - but maybe because he’s experiencing a very different sound from the Ricky than from the Hofner he’ll maybe use some slightly different techniques. But it’s almost irrelevant because his number one, go-to is the Hofner.

• Like 1

Basses I lusted after, had pics on my wall etc.... :

Gene Simmons (KISS) - his 1974 Lobue, his custom 1977 Spector SB1 and longer top horn SB1, his Staccato MG bass..... and the Axe!

Sting (The Police) - white Spector NS2

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - blue sparkle P bass

Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)- black P bass with chrome scratchplate

Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) - black Spector NS2, white Spector NS2

Rachel Bolan (Skid Row) - White pearl Spector NS2

Kip Winger (Winger) - Jackson sig model and Hamer Impact

Masayoshi Yamashita (Loudness) - ESP PPJ-160 P-style bass with double P AND a J pickup!

Duff McKagan (Guns n Roses) - White pearl Fender Jazz Bass Special 

Barry Dunaway (Yngwie Malmsteen) - red firecrackle custom Spector NS2 (I now own this very bass!)

Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue) - Reverse & Non-Reverse Spectorbirds!

Rick Savage (Def Leppard) - Hamer Scarab

Perry Richardson (Firehouse) - all-white (inc neck) custom Yamaha TBird

Geddy Lee (Rush)- black Wal MK1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

But you also need his and Albini's production skills!

Very true! Pretty much everything they lay their hands on sounds like gold to my ears and their tone, both live and on record, is just amazing! Which reminds me.......when's their new album out? There was talk of about 10 tunes being recorded before the pandemic and last time i saw them there was about 3 new songs in the set. Hopefully they'll release it when touring becomes feasible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Mike Pacaro  Peavey cirrus very underrated bass imho

image.thumb.jpeg.0900dff1fca0bf1ffae59290c9188c05.jpeg

I think most Peavey's are underrated. I had a Zephyr and still have an International and considering how well they play and how good they sound, they are dirt cheap.

I regret selling the Zephyr. 

• Like 1