Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Jazz Bass - JB 75 Vintage Series Fakeroo!

carlsim

I know this may seem to be a bit naughty, and I just wanted a bit of advice...

I have always loved the mid 70s jazz look, primarily the headstock and a beaten up body with darkened laquer on the neck. Mmmmm... anyhoo.... I only really play 5 string so 4s never get used (trust me - I have had my share...)

Anyway, I would like a fretless (which also wouldn't get much use) so I thought about getting a cheap fretless and dressing it up to look like a mid 70s beaten up jazz...

I have recently bought 2 Harley Benton acoustic guitars for other gigs I do and with a bit of fettling, was astounded at the price point for the quality of guitar that you get! They will never win awards, but I recently changed my £500 freshman acoustic for a £70 HB one and I would put them side by side any day... That aside... 

I was looking at this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75fl_sb_vintage_series.htm

Basically, strip it apart, road worn paint job ( I have a good plan on how to achieve this...) and I wanted to reshape the headstock to make it look like a fender and stick a cheeky 70s decal on it with some aged lacquer that I already have. Nobody would ever be fooled but I don't want to spend £2k+ to get a bass I would hardly ever use professionally... this would be a good compromise and a fun project to boot!

So.... does anyone have on of these? Would a fender template like the ones here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/bass-place/66934d1292895136-p-bass-headstock-template-bass-heads-1-pdf

lay over the HB one so it could be reshaped or am I p***ing in the wind here? I was gonna take a punt anyway but thought I would ask before I did...

Anyone else done this kind of thing? 

• Like 1

I have yes, I just traced a thin paper template of the headstock in real size, cut the shape out with scissors, drew round it on the actual headstock, and trimmed the wood to suit.

This assumes you've got enough extra wood to do this, the one I did was a chinese cheapo neck that the headstock was oversize in the right places, so was easy enough to re shape to the fender design, just needed a bit off the bottom and accentuate the "curve" a bit.

I had one of these. While they are extremely good basses (not just for the money, mind you) I'd advise against getting one if you're planning on gigging with it. They are boat anchors. Mine was about 6kg and some change and it got really tiresome after a while. Since you're planning on doing this as a project, I'd suggest you get the HB JB kit. The head's a paddle so you can give it whatever shape you want, they're MUCH lighter and you can slap any color you want on it without having to strip off the original paint. Might need a pickup change if you're not fond of the Chinese ceramics (they're not that bad, really) but the hardware is serviceable. Certainly not the best out there but they do their job as they're supposed to.

• Like 1

I've seen a 51 P Tele headstock done out of HBs... Don't think there is enough wood for a Std P or J...

Decals... @taddy does a sterling job... this is a custom one he did for my P Bitsa.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Water-slide-guitar-decals-for-restoration-projects-please-choose-item-No-/124895054584?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

H.thumb.jpg.b8e4e71492bc0d88ce8317cf809844ee.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug

14 hours ago, Gothic said:

I had one of these. While they are extremely good basses (not just for the money, mind you) I'd advise against getting one if you're planning on gigging with it. They are boat anchors. Mine was about 6kg and some change and it got really tiresome after a while. Since you're planning on doing this as a project, I'd suggest you get the HB JB kit. The head's a paddle so you can give it whatever shape you want, they're MUCH lighter and you can slap any color you want on it without having to strip off the original paint. Might need a pickup change if you're not fond of the Chinese ceramics (they're not that bad, really) but the hardware is serviceable. Certainly not the best out there but they do their job as they're supposed to.

I did consider this but I wanted the 70s sunburst with black pickguard anyway... plus there is the hassle of painting and defretting the neck... I wonder if there is variation in weight... other reviews on the Thomann site mention weight as well but I think that if I gig it, it would just be for the occasional song rather than a whole gig...

Thanks for the advice though, it's a shame they don't do it the kit with a fretless neck... i think if they did, I would jump on that!

7 hours ago, carlsim said:

I wonder if there is variation in weight...

Not as I recall.

Had the dubious honour of being a Harley Benton forum mod and dishing out numbers on the HB Owners TalkBass thread , plenty folk reported 12lb+.

Being a Peavey T-40 owner I was quite glad to hear that 😀

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 16:43, kodiakblair said:

Not as I recall.

Had the dubious honour of being a Harley Benton forum mod and dishing out numbers on the HB Owners TalkBass thread , plenty folk reported 12lb+.

Being a Peavey T-40 owner I was quite glad to hear that 😀

The JB75's are weighty beasts. Mine is 11lbs with Gotoh Resolites on

Not that another example is needed, but I also have a Harley Benton JB-75MN and much as I enjoy playing it, I have to agree that it is ridiculously heavy, mine is completely stock, I just weighed it at 5.5 kg (12 lbs).  My Sire MM M2 is 3.5 kg ( under 8 lbs) by comparison.

I wonder if the the JB-40FL 3-Tone Sunburst one is also heavy? It states same wood for body and neck but they do seem to be far more widespread in use and very little references to weight...

@kodiakblairdid anyone comment on these ones? Its looks the same apart the JB75 has a black pickguard... I'm sure there will be minor differences perhaps, not that it would bother me much...

It's a shame they don't do the kit bass with a fretless neck... 

4 hours ago, carlsim said:

I wonder if the the JB-40FL 3-Tone Sunburst one is also heavy? It states same wood for body and neck but they do seem to be far more widespread in use and very little references to weight...

@kodiakblairdid anyone comment on these ones? Its looks the same apart the JB75 has a black pickguard... I'm sure there will be minor differences perhaps, not that it would bother me much...

It's a shame they don't do the kit bass with a fretless neck... 

It's the American Ash body that bumps the weight up. My JB-20 with it's Poplar body is 8.8lbs

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's as Mark said , big bass bodies made from ash tend to be heavier.

Aye, my '69  precision is so heavy my other basses are in orbit around it.

Fortuntely im a 19 1/2 stone amateur powerlifter, so even the most anvil like bass bothers me not.  I give thanks to the Lord that I don't have to worry about that.

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

I give thanks to the Lord that I don't have to worry about that.

I don't worry about it either.

First job was unloading cement wagons ; no forklifts back then , driver just dropped the hundredweight bag on your shoulder and you were off to trot 🙂

• Like 1