Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Mikro Bass query

Petelee

Hello everyone. I've got an Ibanez Mikro bass and I like it but after getting it home and spending some time playing it I think that there is a problem with the largest string.  It doesnt seem to have much tension in it and is a but floppy and wobbly. The other 3 strings seem fine tension wise. I think the gauge of the E string is .105".

Is there a workaround for this? With my albeit limited technical knowledge of guitars......could I  :-

1)  Tune guitar overpitch and E (and all the other strings are tighter).

2) Get another E string.....but should it be thicker or thinner than the .105" one.

3) Get a longer scale bass......maybe 30" scalelength. I tried a 34" scalelength bass. The string tension on that was great but the frets were too wide apart at the headstock end for my small hands.

Thank you.

Not surprised that a 105 feels floppy on a 28.5 inch scale!

You could go for a heavier string - maybe a 115 or 120. You'd probably have to widen the nut slot. If you aren't confident to do it yourself then get a pro to do that.

Or you could go for a 30 inch - short scale, or a 32 inch medium scale. Ibanez do the 32 scale Mezzo instruments and they are very good. There's a noticeable difference in stretch even with just that 2 inch change from 34 to 32. I find that really comfy.

String type is also an issue. Some strings of the same gauge have very different tensions and feels. So a 105 of a different brand and construction could be even floppier or much tighter.

Short scale (30) instruments have been around for decades so there's a lot of string choice out there. There's fewer options for medium scales, but some, like the Mezzo, have headstock construction that keeps the tuning heads far enough away that normal long scale strings can be used.

Really you need to get to a shop that has a few and try out 30 and 32 inch scales. Won't be many shops that have them all together, but worth a look.

You could tune higher if you want, but if you read music or you are playing along to something that needs that E note then you'll need to relearn the positions of all the notes on the fretboard. Heavier strings or a longer scale bass will be less work for the brain!

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Not surprised that a 105 feels floppy on a 28.5 inch scale!

You could go for a heavier string - maybe a 115 or 120. You'd probably have to widen the nut slot. If you aren't confident to do it yourself then get a pro to do that.

Or you could go for a 30 inch - short scale, or a 32 inch medium scale. Ibanez do the 32 scale Mezzo instruments and they are very good. There's a noticeable difference in stretch even with just that 2 inch change from 34 to 32. I find that really comfy.

String type is also an issue. Some strings of the same gauge have very different tensions and feels. So a 105 of a different brand and construction could be even floppier or much tighter.

Short scale (30) instruments have been around for decades so there's a lot of string choice out there. There's fewer options for medium scales, but some, like the Mezzo, have headstock construction that keeps the tuning heads far enough away that normal long scale strings can be used.

Really you need to get to a shop that has a few and try out 30 and 32 inch scales. Won't be many shops that have them all together, but worth a look.

You could tune higher if you want, but if you read music or you are playing along to something that needs that E note then you'll need to relearn the positions of all the notes on the fretboard. Heavier strings or a longer scale bass will be less work for the brain!

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. At present I've raised the tuning on all strings up a tone and things feel better under the fingers, (I'm  playing bass riffs and scales at home and not playing in a band or need to be tuned to concert pitch for backing tracks and the likes).

Wish that there were a few 30" and 32" scale basses to try out when I got the Mikro but at least I know now that there are basses out there in these scalelengths. I will try the heavier string option at some point and hope to be able to buy the single E string rather than a full set.

Could this be the beginning of GAS that I've heard about?

2 hours ago, Petelee said:

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. At present I've raised the tuning on all strings up a tone and things feel better under the fingers, (I'm  playing bass riffs and scales at home and not playing in a band or need to be tuned to concert pitch for backing tracks and the likes).

Wish that there were a few 30" and 32" scale basses to try out when I got the Mikro but at least I know now that there are basses out there in these scalelengths. I will try the heavier string option at some point and hope to be able to buy the single E string rather than a full set.

Could this be the beginning of GAS that I've heard about?

GAS is very real.

To be honest I am convinced that cocaine would be a cheaper habit.

3 hours ago, Petelee said:

At present I've raised the tuning on all strings up a tone and things feel better under the fingers, (I'm  playing bass riffs and scales at home and not playing in a band or need to be tuned to concert pitch for backing tracks and the likes).

In that case, assuming it really is a 105, then 110 strings will cure the problem and let you use standard tuning.

110 strings have just under 10% more mass per unit length, which is about a whole tone so change to them will mean you can keep the same tension.