Why become a member? ×

Help valuing 'well abused' Stentor Student

MrTea

Not sure if this post is allowed so apologies if not but need some help valuing this bass before I decide to release it back into the wild. I'll caveat that if I do end up with a direct sale through here I'll ensure I've a valid marketplace subscription. 

I picked this up with the intention of getting the work done on it to bring it back to life. It's solid and playable but the bridge needs some work and the neck has gouged 'position' markers in the side (which I think are actually wrong as the bridge was well out of position when I got it). That all said, it's playable and has plenty of volume.

I've now picked up another bass so can't see myself spending the money on this (unless you lot convince me otherwise!). Any idea of what it's worth now and also once up to spec would be helpful. The Wilson K4 pickup will obviously come off (which sounds great but I'd expect it too!). 

PXL_20210919_191133267.jpg

PXL_20210919_191205890.jpg

PXL_20210919_191220320.jpg

PXL_20210919_191252568.jpg

Not a lot!

Carved front is good, and looks in decent nick; damaged painted fingerboard, not so much.

A new undamaged stentor student is about £1000 and I'm guessing there's no advantage in buying an older one so regardless of work done, it won't be worth more than that.

Provided there are no cracks,splits or strange buzzing or rattley noises and on the basis it needs a new bridge which will cost someone £200 or so to get fitted,  maybe £400?

The need for any major work eg taking the front off, would probably make it a write it off as the work would cost more than the value of the mended bass.

13 hours ago, NickA said:

Provided there are no cracks,splits or strange buzzing or rattley noises and on the basis it needs a new bridge which will cost someone £200 or so to get fitted,  maybe £400?

Yes I'd pay £400 for it with those caveats - I used to have one, they're great gigging basses, light, smallish bodied, can handle a few knocks.

Thanks chaps. There's nothing major that needs doing to the body that I'm aware of and agree that I'm sure with some work it would make a solid gigging bass.

I'm now having 2nd thoughts about moving it on but having just picked up an Andreas Zeller Stentor from here I don't think I have space (or need if I was totally honest) for both. Overall this feels bigger than the A.Z and a little heavier. 

You could sell it to the bloke who joined my orchestra last week.  He had a small 3/4 laminate bass with a dodgy end pin.  Last night he lent heavily on the bass and the spike and bottom block disappeared into the bottom of the bass, opening up a gaping split between the back and the ribs.  Though he continued through Tchykovsky's 5th without too much trouble.

This would be a real upgrade for him at potentially less than the cost of repairing the one he has.

Meanwhile I directed him to "thedoublebassrooms" for a browse.  But if you list it, I'll point it out to him.

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Last night he lent heavily on the bass and the spike and bottom block disappeared into the bottom of the bass, opening up a gaping split between the back and the ribs. 

Ouch! 

Thanks for the opinions. I'll sleep on it but you may well see it listed here shortly - I'll need to sort out my subs first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from the dead with a little update ...

Had this up for sale but by the time I got a nibble I decided I may well keep it. The bass I bought to 'replace' it turned out to be a 1/2 size Zeller (not 3/4 as advertised and in fairness to the seller he did send me dimensions). That said, it sounds and plays fantastic so it's stayed but I couldn't quite let this go and only keeping a Zeller so it's still with me. 

I'm now thinking about having a new bridge fitted which I've been quoted £250 + vat. I'm down in South Devon so options are a little limited. 

I don't really know what I'm asking here - I guess it's 'is it worth getting the work done'! At the moment there's a wide gap between the sound of both basses (the Zeller sounds considerably more pleasing to my ear) but I suspect a lot of that could be caused by the poor contact of the bridge on the body on the Stentor.

I don't want to get into a debate of should you play a 1/2 or 3/4 size bass. If it sounds good and I can sit in the pocket on it I don't really care! 

TL:DR. Do it.

If you already like the bass, then a properly fitted bridge can only improve it.

I think basses need to be played and gradually adjusted for a few years until you get the best out of it.

I've recently been considering spending a considerable amount of cash on a new bass, but instead I had my current bass (East German 70s ply) fitted with a new soundpost to give the E string more punch and it's like having a new bass but for £80 instead of £3000+.

I use a Stentor Student bass in our rehearsal room (it belongs to the guitarist) and while I don't enjoy playing it as much as my bass, it would only need a new bridge to get it playing how I would like it.

On 23/03/2022 at 20:07, MrTea said:

I think you're right - I spend far too much energy and cash chasing the 'right bass'. If I made a quick decision and put that energy into practicing I'm sure I'll get further on the journey!

Having a playable bass will make it easier to sell too.

Bridge. Do it.  I was on the verge of spending £10k on a replacement bass when I spent £500 on new strings and a bridge refitting ( add adjusters and reshape feet).  New bass.  No way I'd sell it now.

Always worth getting the full potential out of the instrument you have.

• Like 1