Why become a member? ×

My Ukulele/Bike/Open-Mic tour

Nail Soup

Last week I took my ukulele  to a local folk session. I wanted to have a couple of pints, so instead of driving I went by bike. Uke/case on a shoulder strap.

That reminded me of the Uke/bike based adventure I treated myself to for my 50th birthday. Hope it's OK to share the memory.

My hobbies at the time were open mic nights and a bit of cycling.

Basically I put some clothes and toiletries etc in a rucksack, and strapped the uke (in a case) to the back of the rucksack. Then cycled from my home near Dunstable to Portsmouth in 4 legs with overnight stays in hotels. Each of the 5 nights I played the uke at an open mic night. Got  lift home.

It took a fair amount of planning and preparation. Also had to increase my bike stamina as I was a 10-mile-ride guy prior to this.

It only rained once (but absolutely whizzed down for a few hours).... but it was the last leg so didn't seem to matter as much.

Here is the itinerary and map (the map still shows a stop at StAlbans which was cancelled by the venue, and replaced by an extra night in London)

May 10th – 14th 2015

• Sun: Paper Dress, Shoreditch
  • Mon: Bedroom Bar(?), Dalston
  • Tues: Jolly Tanners, Staplefield
  • Weds: Fishbowl, Brighton
  • Thurs: Crown Inn, Portsmouth

image.png.daf84b283053b27bfb0652fb929ff5a3.png

It was an absolute blast, met some great people - one of my treasured memories.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Yeah, the Shoreditch one was interesting. I got to stay two nights in a trendy hotel (the Z).

The open mic itself was held in a clothes shop. At the end of the day all the clothes racks are moved to the side and it becomes a kind of venue.

Unless you had blagged the hotel as a freebie, you coulda' saved a pile of dosh and crashed at our flat in Islington back then 👍

On 20/09/2021 at 20:09, Waddo Soqable said:

Unless you had blagged the hotel as a freebie, you coulda' saved a pile of dosh and crashed at our flat in Islington back then 👍

Cheer! Yeah, the costs did rack up a bit by the time I’d included everything - I naively thought it would work out cheap. But worth it! 

• Like 1