Why become a member? ×

Bass set-up within 1-hour of Cambridge, UK

MrWriter

I am looking for a 'professional' and emphasis on 'professional' here, to set up my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 4-string through neck bass.

I've tried three people within 30 miles of Cambridge, where I live, and I was far from happy with any of them. Two totally bollocked up my bass and I refused to pay, the other was ok.

So, can anybody recommend somebody who really knows there stuff as I'm fussy as hell when it comes to my bass and how it's set up. 

Somebody who can confidently do the usual truss rod, intonation, that sort of stuff, with a nice ultra-low action that does not buzz. 

I'm in Cambridge, UK so within an hour.

Finally, while I'm here. Which of these two would you guys go for: Rotosound Swingbasx 66 RS 66LD (45,65,80,105) Steel  or D'Addario EXL165 (45,65,85,105) Nickel.

Edited by MrWriter

Gosh I've always set up my own, can't help. I've never found a decent tech in 10 years so learned to do everything myself.  This was confirmed by one pro tech I went to in the early days who one day said ' what the [bleep] are you doing still coming to me, do it yourself'.  If this seems a trifle eccentric it's quite common where I live.  Happy D'ad owner.

1 hour ago, lownote said:

Gosh I've always set up my own, can't help. I've never found a decent tech in 10 years so learned to do everything myself.  This was confirmed by one pro tech I went to in the early days who one day said ' what the [bleep] are you doing still coming to me, do it yourself'.  If this seems a trifle eccentric it's quite common where I live.  Happy D'ad owner.

Makes sense lownote. I always did do them myself but this is a new used bass I've just bought and when I went to adjust the truss rod I could hear all sorts of creaking, like the neck complaining and in the end I had to give the truss rod about about four quart turns (so about a complete turn in total) to get it into the ball park. But I did not like the wooden and metal creaking noises, quite loud. 

Because of this alone it's the reason I want somebody else to set it up as I don't want the truss rod to break, or worse. Somebody said spray WD40 down the truss rod end and leave it for a few days, but that sounded rather questionable to be honest and where the truss rod end is there is only the adjuster screw, I can't see how I could get any sort of oil or WD40 down there anyway – suggestions re truss rod issue I have?

Just now, Lozz196 said:

How far is Hoddesden from Cambridge @MrWriter, as our very own Gary Mac is there and he does great work. Anything I can’t do myself I take to Gary and he always sorts it for me.

Hoddesden is 50 miles, an hour, so that's good. Who's Gary Mac and what's his experience/background? I know there are loads of so-called bass technicians who have no training, just watched a load of YouTube videos and decided to charge people £40 do do a crap set up that usually makes the bass worse.

On 19/09/2021 at 17:11, Lozz196 said:

How far is Hoddesden from Cambridge @MrWriter, as our very own Gary Mac is there and he does great work. Anything I can’t do myself I take to Gary and he always sorts it for me.

Thanks for the recommendation @Lozz196, much appreciated. Think Mr Writer is going with the Bass Gallery.

Edited by gary mac

10 hours ago, MrWriter said:

Anybody know if the techs at The Bass Gallery in Camden Town, London are decent for setting up a bass?

They re-placed the side markings on my unlined fretless without fuss and reasonably cost wise. Can't speak otherwise. As they make the Sei line of basses I suspect there's not much they don't know