Why become a member? ×

John Mayer. Pino Palladino.

bubinga5

John Mayer has great taste in bass players. 

David "DeLa" LaBruyere, Pino & Sean Hurley. 

There's almost always tasty bass playing on John Mayer albums, not to mention tasty guitar 4playing and great song writing in general. 

That being said Sob Rock is probably my least favourite Mayer album, it feels like a meme. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

John Mayer has great taste in bass players. 

David "DeLa" LaBruyere, Pino & Sean Hurley. 

There's almost always tasty bass playing on John Mayer albums, not to mention tasty guitar 4playing and great song writing in general. 

That being said Sob Rock is probably my least favourite Mayer album, it feels like a meme. 

Including by Mayer himself. It seems he has picked up on what makes a great bass line sit right in the pocket without the need for flash (often the pitfall of guitarist turned bassist). His version of Crossroads is sublime and he plays both guitar & bass on that one and there others, including a couple of tracks on Sob Rock IIRC, which seems to get better the more you listen to it. Continuum remains my favourite, followed by Battle Studies.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Including by Mayer himself. It seems he has picked up on what makes a great bass line sit right in the pocket without the need for flash (often the pitfall of guitarist turned bassist). His version of Crossroads is sublime and he plays both guitar & bass on that one and there others, including a couple of tracks on Sob Rock IIRC, which seems to get better the more you listen it. Continuum remains my favourite, followed by Battle Studies.

Indeed, I think he is my favourite artist, he is definitely my desert island artist as he has such a varied catalogue. 

Continuum is the high point for sure, but I also love paradise Valley. 

However I feel the opposite way about Sob Rock, I liked it the first few listens, then I came to the realisation that I think I liked it because he made it, and not on its own merit. Sure its a good album by today's standards, but I found myself thinking that if someone else had written it, i doubt I would have given it a 2nd listen. 

• Like 2

Big fan of Mr Mayer and the very talented bands he always puts together.

DeLa’s work on room for squares was just fantastic, it was busy at times but so on the money and never got in the way, it just drove the songs so well. Pino is Pino, pure class in everything he touches and so is Shaun.

I have listen to Sob Rock once, and then I put it on the shelf, as I realised it was going to be one to digest and make sense of at another time. I found this a bit with Born and Raised and Paradise Valley, I just needed time to appreciate what they were.

I wanted him to make a soaring indulgent 80s inspired rock/ballad album with all of the influences he hinted at and I think I felt a little let down by Sob Rock.

• Like 2

I went to see him at the O2 in 2019 with my wife, who is a much bigger fan than I am. I was pretty excited that Pino was on bass... he did his job and did it well. However, my wife was underwhelmed. I think that given how highly I regard Mr P, that she we expecting someone flash like Victor Wooten or something. I had to explain that bassists love Pino because he plays bass like a bassist!