Why become a member? ×

Unexpected NBD: G&L CLF Research L-2000

Old Horse Murphy

The best laid plans and all that....

Anyway, after managing to get down to three basses (P Bass, SR5 and Fretless) I called in to PMT Cardiff to buy some strings but on the way in my wife spotted this gorgeous US G&L CLF L-2000 in their B-stock section and said "ooh, that's a really nice finish on that bass". I hadn't actually seen it at that stage but on closer examination she was right. Not only was it a lovely looking bass, it was also a really, really decent price too, especially as the only thing I could see that was slightly wrong with it was a very minor lacquer chip near the truss rod access on the headstock and a tiny bit of a lacquer ding on the bottom edge. Other than that it was spotless. 

I spoke to one of the staff who told me they'd had it hanging around for a while but had only just put it up for sale and would I like to try it. After play it for 10 mins I fell in love with it. I've had a couple of G&L 5 Strings before but this was the first 4 string I'd tried and it's something else. It's a lovely light weight and the electronics sound amazing- more organic than say a Stingray, but equally more hifi than a P Bass. The neck is lovely too. 

The guy could obviously smell blood in the water as he offered an even bigger discount than on the ticket but I decided to be sensible for once in my life and walk away. About an hour later on our way home my wife asked me why I didn't buy it and I explained that I couldn't really afford it or justify it at this moment in time. She told me to use some of our savings if I wanted to, so when I got home I called the store and asked them if they'd accept an even lower price for it: they wouldn't but reduced what they'd offered it to me for even further and threw in free next day delivery. And here it is. 

So anyway, as I was saying I'm at four basses, which is obviously far better than three :)

8D45B70E-C424-4E04-9E3D-646E0E517D48.jpeg

E1A276B6-9E40-437C-8382-B29B5522B8D2.jpeg

ED2642EE-38C2-4228-A8AB-D5EB025340BD.jpeg

015F6BEB-E88C-4E39-8572-597279116536.jpeg

5FEC0542-DB86-4EA0-BDB9-970C97830AA4.jpeg

9BDB203E-F5CD-44A4-BC8E-A4BC0E915A1F.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 18

Congrats, that’s a beauty. Recent L2000 convert here!! You’ve summed up the sound very well, I’d add more snap than a jazz. I’ve never seen a new one in the flesh. It looks like they’ve slimmed the waist a bit. The grain on this one is lovely 😊 

• Like 1

Very nice! I have the CLF L-1000 which Owen tried out at the bass bash a couple of weeks back. Mines is exceptionally light and the fit and finish is top drawer. Sounds huge too.

If mine is anything to go by, the CLF research basses are a bit special and if I had the money I’d try and get hold of an L2K like yours as well. 

• Like 1

Nice bass and it’s great that your wife is helping to feed your GAS. Which reminds me that there is a formula to determine how many bases you should own. I got this from another GAS inflicted forum but it applies equally here: -

The correct number of basses to own is n+1. While the minimum number of basses one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of basses currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of basses owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Edited by Velarian
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks chaps :)

I always find some basses/brands lend themselves better to being either 4 or 5 strings and (for example) have always preferred Fenders as 4 strings but Stingrays as 5.

My experience to date had always been G&L 5 strings, so trying a 4 string has been a revelation for me and I much prefer them that way. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks Jake. That orange one was a lovely bass. 

Yep, I do wonder what I’d make of it nowadays! I do remember the lack of forearm cutaway was annoying. 

I do think I’m going to have to reacquaint myself with a G&L soon…

• Like 1

Congratulations on the bass! Looks amazing. 

I've been looking to pick up one of these, but they seem out of stock everywhere now. 

Not sure whether I should hold on for a US model, or get a Tribute to satiate the lust. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Congratulations on the bass! Looks amazing. 

I've been looking to pick up one of these, but they seem out of stock everywhere now. 

Not sure whether I should hold on for a US model, or get a Tribute to satiate the lust. 

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 1