Why become a member? ×

Teeny-tiny bass cab - recommendations please

Teebs

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I know the amp, this was the small cab I see , won’t it work with this 

C968E96B-E824-4607-9C3A-92B3E39C372B.jpeg

That could have the same driver as my Orange Crush 25 which sounds pretty good for its size? But the cab is a lot smaller and is presumably optimised for guitar without a reflex port. It sin't sold as a bass speaker.

There's the Elf 1x10 which is cheaper than the BF 110, but it costs and weighs more than the PJB C2...

• Like 1

Here you go A House Jam Combo - Build Diaries - Basschat

Interesting timing, I took it to the South West Bass bash yesterday where it created a bit of a minor stir. I hid it amongst some bigger cabs and got a couple of people to try it. I also recorded it and will put up the recording when I get some time this week.

• Thanks 1

OK hopefully this should be a recording from yesterday through my 1x6 using the Peavey Minimax as shown below. the amp was set flat but I couldn't tell you what the settings on the active bass were. I'd hidden the speaker between two bigger cabs and the person playing had no idea at first that it was a 1x6.

image.thumb.png.3c783a4e4e8238796e9e7ccc03a48a21.png

Bass demo Fane 6-100.WAV

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

So this is the output at 10W. You've got just over 102db. -3db is below 80Hz so you are getting a fairly flat response with all the second harmonic for bottom E and upwards which gives it a fairly rich sound for a tiny speaker. The speaker itself is rated 100w thermal so you can push it way harder if you use a 'proper' amp It would work well with something like the TC BAM but even at 10W it'll be a decent practice volume. I can send you dimensions if you decide to build it but it's 10l so about the size of a petrol can. It also goes up to 7khz so gives a nice clear sound, I've also tried it as a 'bright box' on top of a 12 and it sounded great both with and without a crossover. My next step when covid abates is to try it at an open mic. It'll never work with drums but maybe with acoustic guitar and a cahon and amplified voice it should be good. It's fun to play with too.

image.png.722583f1092dedd691973f4335595e1f.png

Fane : Fane Sovereign 6-100 :: £37.09 (bluearan.co.uk)

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

You can see how they do it, Sensitivity is 86db/w for two drivers. That's fairly low for a hifi cab and very low for a bass cab. Those drivers will have heavy stiff cones, great for bass and I'd expect that they will sound good, just not loud. Most hifi cabs and studio monitors would go as loud and probably be cheaper, and available used if you wanted a cheaper route.

Just for comparison when I designed the 1x6 I decided to go for high efficiency and to trade off the low frequencies so my baby does just under 93db/w and you'd need 50W with the GR speaker to match mine at 10W. That's just the iron law, it would be simple for someone else to design a medium sensitivity speaker of similar size with better bass than mine but not as good as I imagine the GR bass is.

I see Warwick are releasing Gnome cabs for their Gnome amps.

https://bassmagazine.com/gear/warwick-unveils-new-gnome-compact-series-bass-cabinets

https://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2021/09/16/warwick-gnome-compact-bass-cabinets/

I wonder if we shall see Ashdown ANT cabs next?

Edited by JohnDaBass
Correction
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

You can see how they do it, Sensitivity is 86db/w for two drivers. That's fairly low for a hifi cab and very low for a bass cab. Those drivers will have heavy stiff cones, great for bass and I'd expect that they will sound good, just not loud. Most hifi cabs and studio monitors would go as loud and probably be cheaper, and available used if you wanted a cheaper route.

Just for comparison when I designed the 1x6 I decided to go for high efficiency and to trade off the low frequencies so my baby does just under 93db/w and you'd need 50W with the GR speaker to match mine at 10W. That's just the iron law, it would be simple for someone else to design a medium sensitivity speaker of similar size with better bass than mine but not as good as I imagine the GR bass is.

I imagine that PJB C2 I've ordered goes down the same route.

What is good is these small cabs do have decent power handling, so you can use a modest class D amp and have a teensy rig that covers home practice and small (say without drums) gigs.

3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

I see Warwick are releasing Gnome cabs for their Gnome amps.

https://bassmagazine.com/gear/warwick-unveils-new-gnome-compact-series-bass-cabinets

https://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2021/09/16/warwick-gnome-compact-bass-cabinets/

I wonder if we shall see Ashdown ANT cabs next?

The 208 looks to be the same as the TC equivalent (as is the Gnone head itself) but the 110 only goes down to 90hz so maybe skip that one.

They are very cool looking cabs though, look a bit more upmarket than the usual budget stuff and the 112 looks to be more capable.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1