Why become a member? ×

Teeny-tiny bass cab - recommendations please

Teebs

A tiny cab will have a tiny, as well as tinny, sound. It has nothing to do with power. In fact the less power you have the better result you'll get with a larger versus smaller cab. Google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'. Then have it tattooed on your arm. It is probably the single most important law of acoustics where bass players are concerned.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill - I've added a quote regarding Hoffman's Iron Law for anyone else interested.

That was useful advice - much appreciated.

Hoffman’s Iron Laws of Speaker Building

1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

The law is that you can only have two of these three attributes in speaker building.  Ideally we would want all three, we want speakers with good bass, can play really loud, and are small.  Unfortunately we cannot have all these.

Typically, if you find small speakers with good bass, they will require a lot of power or won’t get very loud.  If you find big speakers with good bass, they won’t require much power.  If you find small speakers with no bass, they will not require a lot of power and will get decently loud.  All off these are vague statements and basically amount to use common sense; you won’t get a tiny subwoofer unless it has some insane power requirements and you won’t have tiny speakers that rattle the house.

What I'm after - a small cabinet with low power & not a huge bass response for use as a low volume practice amp setup - I understand that I'll have to sacrifice the bass response, but didn't realise that I'd need more power as well. That's useful to know.

So I guess my modified question should be 'can anyone recommend a tiny bass cab (or design for one I could build) with a compromised bass response for low-volume practice? Power require ment as necessary (10w +)'

13 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That would do. The larger the cab the lower and louder it can go with not much power. That's why even in home hi-fi big cabs ruled through the 1940s, when 25 watts was a monster amp, and they still do with Singled Ended Triode amp aficionados.

Somewhere I have a (~30 year old) Maplin nominal 1 watt amp powered by a PP3 battery, about 4" square in the shape of a combo. It has a jack output as well as a teensy speaker, it sounded remarkably loud through my old Marshal JCM 16R 1x12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Somewhere I have a (~30 year old) Maplin nominal 1 watt amp powered by a PP3 battery, about 4" square in the shape of a combo. It has a jack output as well as a teensy speaker, it sounded remarkably loud through my old Marshal JCM 16R 1x12

Reminds me of these:

https://www.keymusic.com/item/zinky-recycled-cigarette-pack-smokey-amp/

Screenshot_20210918-095941__01.jpg

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If a BF 110 is too big you're going to have to say how small it really has to be.

Ideally very small.

The original cab for these amps was 200 x 130 x 170mm, with a 4.5" speaker.

I'm not too fussy about the bass response & tone as it's only for playing to the baby when we're away from home. (He likes 'Reach' and by S Club 7 & 'Rockabye' by Clean Bandit! nonon.gif.baceeda29492af2f37ad0244be663645.gifFML!).

I can use headphones for me to practice.

I might try to recreate the Hotone cab myself...  Finx.gif.38e5a959284efcdb0f75de29e61f08b8.gif

What could possibly go wrong?  :laugh1:

• Like 2

This was recorded with a cheaper than chips amp through my smartphone...

This is the amp https://m.thomann.de/gb/joyo_ma_10b_portable_bass_amp.htm

Strangely, it sounds amazing at, of course, low level.

I also bought this to use if off the mains, but it can also work on batteries https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_powerbank.htm

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

This was recorded with a cheaper than chips amp through my smartphone...

This is the amp https://m.thomann.de/gb/joyo_ma_10b_portable_bass_amp.htm

Strangely, it sounds amazing at, of course, low level.

I also bought this to use if off the mains, but it can also work on batteries https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_powerbank.htm

Oops. Accidentally bought one.

Could be a good Xmas/Birthday pressie for my brother too.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

I'm not too fussy about the bass response & tone as it's only for playing to the baby when we're away from home. (He likes 'Reach' and by S Club 7 & 'Rockabye' by Clean Bandit! nonon.gif.baceeda29492af2f37ad0244be663645.gifFML!).

Awww, why not just take an acoustic guitar around with you? You can play bass lines on a guitar, plus chords and stuff... 👌

• Like 1