Why become a member? ×

Songs you never got to play

Woodinblack

I was kicking round waiting for my wife to be ready to go out, and I decided to play along through some playlists. There is a playlist for a group I was recently in but it desolved in acrimony, even though me and my wife had spent the whole lockdown practicing the songs.

So I was playing along with Josie, Feeling good, I can't go for that etc, but when I got to 'can't hurry love' I got quite sad that I would never actually get to play that live, as it is so much fun to play. Truth to tell with that band it wouldn't have sounded great as they were a bit wooden, and soul needs, well, some soul! but its a shame that I won't get to do that. It isnt right for my current band.

Also often sad (as per other thread on here) that I wouldn't get to play babylons burning after the trouble of learning it for a interview.

Anyone else put a lot of effort learning something and dissapointed they never got to play it?

55 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was kicking round waiting for my wife to be ready to go out, and I decided to play along through some playlists. There is a playlist for a group I was recently in but it desolved in acrimony, even though me and my wife had spent the whole lockdown practicing the songs.

So I was playing along with Josie, Feeling good, I can't go for that etc, but when I got to 'can't hurry love' I got quite sad that I would never actually get to play that live, as it is so much fun to play. Truth to tell with that band it wouldn't have sounded great as they were a bit wooden, and soul needs, well, some soul! but its a shame that I won't get to do that. It isnt right for my current band.

Also often sad (as per other thread on here) that I wouldn't get to play babylons burning after the trouble of learning it for a interview.

Anyone else put a lot of effort learning something and dissapointed they never got to play it?

Yes, I practised and practised “wicked game”- Chris isaak on bass and on the night my mate let me down. He’d totally forgotten and had gone off to plaster a ceiling 

gutted 

• Sad 1

Oh What a Night.  The key was too high for any of our singers, and I did not want to learn it in another key.

I wish by Stevie Wonder  - right song, wrong key! Since I left, they have recorded the song on bass and ukulele 

Respect by Aretha Franklin - ultimately, the band was not keen, although it worked when a few of us played it. 

All of the songs were great basslines, with simple chords, in search of a competent band!    

Edited by bass_dinger
the link did not work!

When I was 18, Eloise, in the version by The Damned - rest of band said too fiddly to be risked. 

When I was 15, Everyone's Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey from the White Album, we kept losing the pulse. Still a bit ashamed of that. I was lead guitar back then, and listening to it now, I regret not having got to play those lines in public.

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Yes, I practised and practised “wicked game”- Chris isaak on bass and on the night my mate let me down. He’d totally forgotten and had gone off to plaster a ceiling 

gutted 

The only song we ever played where there was actual snogging on the dancefloor! Amazing tune.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Me and one of the guitarists are desperate to do "Bad case of loving you" by Robert Palmer. The drummer claims nobody in the world has ever heard of this song, nobody will sing along or dance along.... What the actual!?!?! It's a classic.

Actually,  we've rehearsed this a couple of times in my covers band. The rest of them were mad keen to do it but, typical of me, I confused it with Doctor Doctor by UFO; a song I'd much rather have played. Fun and hilarity ensued when I was playing a totally different song to everyone else the first time we tried it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The drummer claims nobody in the world has ever heard of this song, nobody will sing along or dance along.... What the actual!?!?! It's a classic.

Nominated for best male rock performance at the 22nd grammy awards and has its own wikipedia page. Although from looking at that I found out it was a cover, never knew that.

12 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

Fun and hilarity ensued when I was playing a totally different song to everyone else the first time we tried it. 

Would make for a good mashup!

52 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Me and one of the guitarists are desperate to do "Bad case of loving you" by Robert Palmer. The drummer claims nobody in the world has ever heard of this song, nobody will sing along or dance along.... What the actual!?!?! It's a classic.

New one on me …

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I dep in a band that plays this and it always seems to go down well. Great song.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I dep in a band that plays this and it always seems to go down well. Great song.

You know this, I know this.... I was on a band that had a mission to make our audience, usually couples aged 45ish, to sing and dance to every song we play. Drummer says no. Drummer says lots of odd things. Bassist go bye bye.

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My old covers band used to open the set with this, it's great fun to play, up tempo but fairly easy, great to 'warm up' yourself,  and usually went down well.

In the early-90's, a couple of mates and I started a doom/stoner band. I switched to playing drums because one of them played bass, the other was a guitarist. We wrote some (I think) really good material but couldn't find a singer. Nobody we could find in Dublin wanted to go down to the low tempos so we never got to gig those songs. It fell apart over time and we all moved on with our lives. It still irks me because I still love the music we wrote and we were bang in the zeitgeist for the exposure that kind of music would get in the following years.

After listening to some old rehearsal tapes, I started properly recording the songs a few years ago, just chipping away at it every now and then. The other guys don't play anymore, so it'll just be me and, maybe, someday I'll find a singer for them.

Edited by Doctor J

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was disappointed never to do 'I'll Be There With You' live because I wanted to see if everyone would do the clap.

I did. They didn't.

Mrs Zero and I were in a prog covers band that never quite got to gigging. There were a few songs that I'd really have loved to have done live - Nights in white satin, Back street luv, Don't fear the reaper, Sylvia, I know what I like in your wardrobe.

• Haha 1

Happened loads of times with my massively passively aggressive guitarist mate. Band rehearsal and we would decide on a song to do.

Ok, is everyone in agreement that we will do this one? Right, learn it for next week.

Next week, right, has everyone learned the song? Guitarist mate...No but I have learned this one, have a go its just E, A, C etc, etc.

It used to drive me up the wall. We would end up not doing certain songs that had been voted in because he didn't fancy it and would rather learn one that he likes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

32 bar bass solo time. Guest sax player takes his 32 bars and then has my 32 for dessert. flipper.

At last rehearsal our guitarist randomly called me a solo  - he likes my walking line to Summertime Feeling Good.

I'm kind of dreading that he does this at tonight's gig. It doesn't help that the song is burned into my muscle memory in Gm and this lot do it in F#m.

Edited by Stub Mandrel