Why become a member? ×

Moving a set of Chromes from 2+2 headstock to a 4+0

Munurmunuh

My TRBX is fitted with Chromes

20210614_093548-01-01-jpeg.4406842

It's on sale, and not selling, I suspect because flats really don't suit this two-thin-humbucker three-band-eq active bass (they sound good with the neck pickup on passive, so they were good for me until I got a bass more in line with what suited me, but beyond that, naaaah....)

20210614_093624-01-01-jpeg.4406843

If I were to have the Chromes taken off them, would it be possible for them to be fitted to a trad P headstock, or once strings are trimmed for a 2+2, is that out the question?

As I look at the photo once again, this seems a really dumb question. Perhaps a better one would be: what bass with a 2+2 headstock would Chromes suit? 😅

13 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If I were to have the Chromes taken off them, would it be possible for them to be fitted to a trad P headstock, or once strings are trimmed for a 2+2, is that out the question?

Depends on how long or short they have been cut.  I have some Fender flats which were originally cut for a (5-string) G&L 2500 - a 3+2 headstock - so the G string is very short.  But it stays on a 4-string P bass with just 1.5 winds.  It was slightly reluctant to be strung up initially; but once there, it's stable - no tuning issues, it's never fallen off, etc.

what bass with a 2+2 headstock would Chromes suit? 😅

An amber ATK 300.

900.DSCF3808.jpg

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a way but it isn't pretty. Just graft part of another string on to make the length you need. Fold a cm or two from the end of of each part so you have two sharp Vs. Obviously, this needs to be where you won't hit the string tree or be wrapped around the machine head post. Link them together, then use some thread to close the Vs, locking the two parts together. Just wrap the thread around, you don't need to do anything fancy. It'll hold in tune, no problem at all.

8BC59A74-796C-43D3-8BDE-E07A210ADE29.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...