Why become a member? ×

Ibanez headless basses

Rick05

Hi,

Iv been looking at the new Ibanez headless bass range and this they look fantastic. I’m especially interested in the EHB 1505 Ms

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/ehb1505ms_1p_01.html

iv seen a few reviews online but wondered if there was anyone out there that has had experience with them.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Rick

Mine was returned to anderton's twice with, once with a poorly cut nut that fell off after attaching itself to the b string and second time with a stripped truss rod nut.

Was told today that andertons supplier was so disappointed with the QC on the bass and the truss rod issue they didn't want to send it back to me and advised anderton's to replace it or refund it. Worth noting Andertons have been tremendous, but I'm very disappointed in the bass itself.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Mine was returned to anderton's twice with, once with a poorly cut nut that fell off after attaching itself to the b string and second time with a stripped truss rod nut.

Was told today that andertons supplier was so disappointed with the QC on the bass and the truss rod issue they didn't want to send it back to me and advised anderton's to replace it or refund it. Worth noting Andertons have been tremendous, but I'm very disappointed in the bass itself.

Really sorry to hear this, hope it gets sorted

The low B is very good, but is very string type sensitive.

It comes with a .130 D'addario nickel which was a bit rubbish. .135 Pro Steel was a lot better for tension but a bit clangy like steels can be and now I've got DR Pure Blues .130 on it and it's lovely. Great fundamental and the tension is just right for me. The tension of the DR is a little higher than the D'addario nickel for the same gauge.

Deciding on the right strings for a multi-scale is always a bit experimental. I have 40-100 or sometimes 35-95 on my 'normal' basses and a 100 E DR Pure Blues is fine on the EHB even though the scale is shorter. 40 on the 30 inch side G string feels more like a 35 on a long scale bass. In an ideal world I'd have a 37.5 :D 

I've got a full set of 45-130 DR Pure Blues on it and I think they really suit it. Not the cheapest strings in the world but they do last well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

In all seriousness I love a headless bass and have been very pleased that Ibanez have done a lefty in the green one, I'm just not sure about fan frets. It would be an expensive way to try.

Honestly I love fanned fret, bought a Dingwall a few years back and you get used to it really quickly. If I get an Ibanez I’ll definitely get the multi scale 

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

In all seriousness I love a headless bass and have been very pleased that Ibanez have done a lefty in the green one, I'm just not sure about fan frets. It would be an expensive way to try.

I found that the playing wasn't the thing I had to get used to.

The weird thing was that if I did NOT look at the fretboard I was fine. But if I did I got lost. In my regular gig I do a lot of reading so I don't get the chance to look so that went well, but I need to learn to not look at the board at all!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As an update Iv been trying to track an EHB 1505MS to buy. I lost out on an ex demo and then didn’t act fast enough and the last one at Andertons was sold.

Iv seen a few online but really think I need to try one and they don’t appear to be restocked in a few places til at least next year.