Why become a member? ×

Favourite 'between songs' bits from live albums

Nail Soup

4 hours ago, Big Rich said:

A lot of the between song banter on UFO's Strangers In The Night album always tickles me 😁

'Changing the mics.'  

I had the recent reissue on shuffle about a week ago, it seemed virtually every track had Moggie going, 'Okaaaay, this is off the <insert album title here> album...'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

From the bootleg 'D-Day in Dallas' of the Sex Pistols in January 1978 at the Longhorn Ballroom, Texas. Guitarist Steve Jones just before the encore...

"You must be f**king mad wanting more of us"

There's also Rotten's famous "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" at the Winterland show.

• Like 2

Can't remember what album it's on but there's the live version of "Underground" by Ben Folds Five, where in the pause after the intro line "I was never cool in school, I'm sure you don't remember me..." someone in the audience, with impeccable timing, shouts "Who the f**k are you?".

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

The Stranglers - Live X Cert

Band stop the song after couple of bars.

"Did someone say w*nk3r?

Where is he?

(pause)

Come on then, Isn't he going to own up?"

At about 2.40.

You can hear the original "w*nk3r" if you listen carefully.

There's a Stranglers 12" B-side called "An Evening with Hugh Cornwell" which is just 18 minutes of Hugh insulting the audience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's Hugh being typically charming to the audience at Guildford University. He starts with "Have you all got yer Crackerjack pencils? Stick 'em up yer derrières, then!" After playing Hanging Around, he finishes with "Guildford University never respresented Guildford. We hate playing to elitist audiences, so fukk off!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-_vHvYWDLA

Edited by Fozza
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Phil Mogg came out with some gems.

Warnors Theater, Fresno 1977.

"I dunno whether any of you have heard of Madame Tussauds before? If some of the people down the front ain't careful, they'll be in there!"

" Now Listen you old age pensioners down ere, get you fackin' feet moovin' stickin' them up there, what d'you think this is a drinking club? OK, we're fack off now with somethin' from our first album... This is called Rock Bottom."

Edited by pst62
  • Like 1

Not a live album as such, but a mixing desk tape I've got of Rose Tattoo at Liverpool Warehouse, 1981. Mr Anderson lives up to his name...

"Is it loud enough? It's OK, you paid to get in, you can complain. Is it loud enough for ya? I didn't think so... TURN THE FAAACKIN' THING UP!!!"

Edited by tony_m

Two spring to mind. First is the 'Pernod' saga from The Velvet Underground Live at Max's Kansas City. For those who don't know, this was an "official bootleg" record, in that it was recorded by a fan / friend of the band from their place in the audience. Consequently, some chat from audience members can be heard between the songs. At one point, a voice can be heard to ask "Can you get me a double Pernod?". Later, we hear the same voice asking "Did you get the Pernod?...<inaudible reply>...oh you, have to go to the downstairs". I think there's also some comment on one song "Yeah, I've heard it, but it's pretty new". Finally, we here the same voice saying "oh no, I gotta hide....look who's over there". That's it really.

Not remarkable in the great scheme of things, but has always amused me.

Not sure the other one counts, as the stuff between the songs is clearly largely scripted / pre-arranged and is an integral part of the show. I refer to Frank Zappa and the Mothers live at the Filmore East. First heard when I was a teenager, and full of the kind of crude smut guaranteed to appeal to the teenage boy in all of us.

Captain Sensible - Live At The Milky way is full of his points of view, some particularly with reference to Elton John and David Sylvian (Japan). It's also contains a great version of Neat Neat Neat with superb bass player Paul Gray (who was in Cap's band then) playing a corking bass solo in it.. to which as a laugh, Captain decide to edit it out for the recording release 😅

On 18/09/2021 at 07:44, Fozza said:

Hanging Around, he finishes with "Guildford University never respresented Guildford. We hate playing to elitist audiences, so fukk off!"

I sometimes forget that 40 years ago not so many people went to uni….. it was more elite then. Mind you , Hugh was one of them!

I have an old bootleg of a KISS show in the 70's where at the very end of the gig the drum riser goes up 30ft in the air with lots of pyro exploding around it. As the explosions and audience noise fades and the rest of the band have obviously left the stage you can just hear drummer Peter Criss shouting (picked up by his mic) "Get me down!!! Get me the fukk down!!!" 😂🤣

• Haha 3

Awwww, poor Peter...he was very much the Ken* of the band; the worst makeup, too...and then there's that solo album...eeeeek...

* As in the famous Viz 'Matt, Luke and Ken' thing when Bros started...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

Yep, as Peter Griffin said on Family Guy: "Not even Peter Criss wants to be Peter Criss" 🤣

He was such a grumpy bugger half the time.... I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the band told the crew to leave him up there a bit longer on purpose.... lol!

The original 'Grumpy Cat'...

Edited by cetera
  • Haha 2

I love all of Paul Stanley's spoken bits on the live albums. He sometimes gets it wrong but he's good entertainment. I think he is a great rock 'n' roll character and he's mellowed with age. He came across the best on the 4 autobiographies (admittedly the bar is set pretty low there!!!) I do like Peter and his makeup. Again, I think it went a bit wrong but his colossal ego aside, a great character. I'd just hate to be in a band with any of them - it'd be a nightmare!