Why become a member? ×

Favourite 'between songs' bits from live albums

Nail Soup

46 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

In a mash up of the  "Gaps between Songs" and "Live albums" threads............

What are your best bits between the songs on live albums - stage banter, audience interjection etc?

Live After Death 

Close the thread

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Woodstock

During the Who's performance at Woodstock the celebrated hippie activist Abbie Hoffman invades the stage between songs and grabs Townshend's vocal mike to issue a call for protest :

Hoffman angrily: I think this is a pile of sh_t! While John Sinclair rots in prison...

Townshend: F__k off! (Hits Hoffman with his guitar, toppling the activist into the audience)

Townshend: F__k off my f__king stage!

(Crowd roars approval )

Townshend (sarcastically): I can dig it.

• Like 4

Joy Divison - Preston 1980: in the midst of an incredibly intense performance fired up by equipment failures, someone grabs the mic:

"Anyone from Burnley - the coach leaves in 10 minutes"

At another point you hear Barney tell the soundman "everything's fukcing bust so everything's going through the bass amp"...

I do like to think about the band's more humourless fans trying to discern the poetry and mystery in all this.

• Like 4

From Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Ian Gillan - "Can I have a bit more monitor if you've got it?"

Anon (Off-mic) - "We want everything louder than everything else."

Ian Gillan - "Ha ha yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else."

• Like 3

Slaughter And The Dogs - “Live Slaughter Rabid Dogs” has some great onstage banter in between the songs. 

It was recorded really roughly at what sounds like a working men’s club in Manchester in 1977 and the audience clearly weren’t entirely on the band’s side. The crowd were obviously chucking pints at the band as you hear Wayne Barrett and co saying stuff like “Hey! Stop throwin’ the fookin’ glasses will yer!” or, sarcastically, “It’s just cost you a pound to throw that glass” followed by someone else in the band coming back with “£1.25 it is, Howard”.

I’m surprised I can still remember it, when I routinely forget what I went to the shops for or where my keys are, etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Phil Lynott, on Live and Dangerous version of Emerald, introduces the song with somnething like

"Is there anybody here with any Irish in them?

Is there any of the girls that'd like a little more Irish in them?"

I never heard firsthand on the album, but I remember a mate at the time liked that comment so much he told us all about it.

"Apparently we've got to take a 10 minute break for the bloody 'meat raffle' but we'll be back shortly...."

Me, on various bootleg tapes of gigs over the years anywhere north of Watford Gap......

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dankology said:

Joy Divison - Preston 1980: in the midst of an incredibly intense performance fired up by equipment failures, someone grabs the mic:

"Anyone from Burnley - the coach leaves in 10 minutes"

At another point you hear Barney tell the soundman "everything's fukcing bust so everything's going through the bass amp"...

I do like to think about the band's more humourless fans trying to discern the poetry and mystery in all this.

It's brilliant, that.

You can also hear Rob Gretton panicking too - "'Ook-eh, 'Ook-eh! Wass goin' on?"

• Like 1