Why become a member? ×

Good value all valve heads

SteveXFR

6 hours ago, la bam said:

I had the bugera bvv3000 - superb sounding thing.

I tried letting everyone know just how good it was.... but I think people where put off by the bugera name for some reason.

It sold in the end in really good condition for around £175 :(

I paid about £350 new for my BVV3000I and it's an amazing amp at any price. I think they were discontinued because the market for big heavy valve amps (that aren't Ampeg) just isn't there for a high volume producer like Behringer. It's the best sounding amp that I own and crazy cheap at £175.

6 hours ago, Quilly said:

I got rid of mine because it was stupid heavy, I was afraid things might go wrong and an amp tech wouldn’t go near it. I’ve heard some issues with them regarding the self bias thing , but in general I think most people were happy with them. 

I figured that at £350 if mine went wrong I'd just skip it. 5 years on it's still working fine, although it's not been gigged yet. An Ampeg SVT is actually a few pounds heavier.

On 16/09/2021 at 20:25, Downunderwonder said:

That's not normal.

You might have a problem with the cab side of things if you are frying amps.

This is a very good observation. Running 4x12 and 1x15 cabs together seems like an uneven system. The 4x12 won't even break into a sweat at the point the 1x15 is hitting its limits if you're playing at high volumes and blowing up amps indicates you are pushing things.

(Lemmy used to pair his 4x12 with a 4x15).

Edited by Sparky Mark

It's been done to death I know but... it literally isn't worth counting the 'watts' of this or that amp.  I presently own (and gig); Handbox WB (all valve - 120w), EBS HD350 (SS - 350w), TC Stacatto (Digital - 350w), Tech Soundsystems Blackcat (valve pre - 1000w), TC Blacksmith (Digital - 1600w).  I gig with a VERY loud drummer and louder guitarist and I rarely (twice in 6 years) go through the PA.  The Handbox holds its own against any of those other amps.  OK the 1000w + amps will go a bit louder but at the point where they are beating the valve amp, your ears would be ringing.  

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

This is a very good observation. Running 4x12 and 1x15 cabs together seems like an uneven system. The 4x12 won't even break into a sweat at the point the 1x15 is hitting its limits if you're playing at high volumes and blowing up amps indicates you are pushing things.

(Lemmy used to pair his 4x12 with a 4x15).

The 4x12 and 1x15 Trace cabs are a very common combination among Trace Elliot owners but they're old (30 year old, original speakers) and I play loud so maybe that is the problem. 

On 18/09/2021 at 08:30, SteveXFR said:

The 4x12 and 1x15 Trace cabs are a very common combination among Trace Elliot owners but they're old (30 year old, original speakers) and I play loud so maybe that is the problem. 

If you are driving a 500 watt RMS amp hard with distortion into that rig the 1x15 is the weak link. A 4x10 and 1x15 isn't considered a good match nowadays no matter what was common practice back in the 90s. A 4x12 (800W thermal rating) with 1x15 (300W thermal rating) is an even less balanced rig. Of course at reasonable levels you shouldn't have a problem but should have the 1x15 at ear level so you can hear when it gets distressed (although with distortion that could be difficult). 

Edited by Sparky Mark

The OP wants a very reliable and extremely loud amp for about £600 (and already has a preamp?

I know it’s not all valve but you could consider a new ABM600, it will last more or less forever and will come with a 5yr guarantee with UK tech support. It is also lighter than most valve gear. Is also notoriously powerful.

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

It's a 4x10 and it's not exactly thunderous 

Oh, twice above you'd said it was a 4x12 which was a great Trace Elliot cab. A modern 4x10 such as a Bergantino would outperform an old Trace Elliot 4x10 for sure. Or if you're happy to carry heavy cabs another TE 4x10 would make a significant difference to your volume.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Played my Ashdown ctm100 through a 2x15 at rehearsal on Sunday. It was VERY loud with just a smattering  of tube breakup when chords were played , very nice . I don’t think the VU meter ever hit the red but the needle was busy. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

For great value all-valve take a look at Traynor. 

I’m really pleased with the YBA-200. It goes damn loud but has great depth and growl. 

I have a similar cab configuration as yours, and also a modern 4x10 (barefaced). For volume the barefaced is the absolute best. Vintage cabs can’t do the same. 

Come over and try my rig. 

On 06/10/2021 at 15:50, SteveXFR said:

@bigjimmyc Traynor look pretty apealing. I guess it's the YBA100 or YBA300 that would suit me best.

it looks like they don't have a UK seller buy it looks like they come up used occasionally. 

That’s too bad. I think the chap I got mine from bought it new shipped from factory. I’m guessing but they might be in budget. Or you could twist my arm and I might part with mine!

Going back to to your original post and reading all the replies, I would consider trying your head with a modern cab. You might be surprised how efficient they are. 

2 minutes ago, bigjimmyc said:

That’s too bad. I think the chap I got mine from bought it new shipped from factory. I’m guessing but they might be in budget. Or you could twist my arm and I might part with mine!

Going back to to your original post and reading all the replies, I would consider trying your head with a modern cab. You might be surprised how efficient they are. 

I have recently picked up an Orange 4x10. Its monstrously loud! It sounds really good as well.

I just sold the Trace head and cabs. I'm now bandless so might just stick with the Orange head for now but I probably will look out for a Traynor head.

• Like 1