Why become a member? ×

Good value all valve heads

SteveXFR

I'm looking to sell both of my hybrid amp heads to buy one all valve head. I'll be looking used and I know that comes with some risk.

My budget is around £600. I play metal and punk so I like a nice bit of dirt on my tone. I'll be using it with a pair of Trace Elliot 8 ohm 300w cabs, a 4x12 and a 1x15.

I'm not sure about power output, my 500w Orange head generally doesn't go above 4 on the master volume and my 280w Trace head is not loud enough at 80% but I know watts don't really equal volume.

What's your suggestions for a good amp to look for?

6 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Rather than taking a punt on a used all valve head, why not look at a few valve pre's? Run one into the Orange (which you know does the job as far as power goes) and it will be lighter and less expensive to run (no replacing of main power valves needed).

I've already got a valve preamp in front of the Orange. 

I should have mentioned that I've had a few amp failures and each time it's been the solid state power section so I was hoping an old all valve head would be more reliable. 

24 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

@stewblackwas selling an Ampeg that might fit the brief. I don't know if he still has it but hopefully he'll see that I've tagged him. Not sure it's quite in budget though...

An Ampeg SVT all valve head would be perfect I don't think I'll get one for £600 unless it's heavily soiled / battered / fried / stolen

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I have, yes. They sound great but what's the volume like?

They are loud but it’s still just 100w.  the eq is practically non existent, so if don’t like the tone you’re kinda stuck. There are mods that can be done but I’m happy enough with it as is. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

An Ampeg SVT all valve head would be perfect I don't think I'll get one for £600 unless it's heavily soiled / battered / fried / stolen

Unfortunately mine has had over half that much spent on a full refurb so I'm hoping to get a bit more back.

• Like 1

A good few years ago I had a Bugera BVV3000, basically a 300w SVT clone, it sounded great and was thunderously loud, was very cheap as I recall . I’m not sure what happened to these in the wild and whether they’re still around, But I couldn’t fault the amp at all …apart from being an obviously cheesy knock-off 

Edited by Quilly

Hi Steve if you play metal and punk you won’t do much better than your orange terror bass, I had one of the early models and it died on me a few times , I think there was a design flaw with the first model. I’d go for the mk2 for that money I think they ironed out all the potential issue. To get an all tube head as loud as an orange terror bass you’re looking at an SVT . I don’t think a 100w valve head will get you there . That’s just my tuppence worth 

• Like 3

When I decided to bite the bullet and get a valve head I borrowed a 100w custom made head off a friend to try at a band practice, admittedly we were stupid loud, but I couldn't even hear it and that was through my Barefaced Four10, that's why I went Matamp, I've never had a problem hearing that. Indeed one evening I decided to treat Kev (R.I.P) to a taste of his own medicine and 2 songs in was treated to a cry of, "For f***s sake turn that thing down!"

32 minutes ago, la bam said:

I had the bugera bvv3000 - superb sounding thing.

I tried letting everyone know just how good it was.... but I think people where put off by the bugera name for some reason.

It sold in the end in really good condition for around £175 :(

I got rid of mine because it was stupid heavy, I was afraid things might go wrong and an amp tech wouldn’t go near it. I’ve heard some issues with them regarding the self bias thing , but in general I think most people were happy with them.