Why become a member? ×

NJBD

FinnDave

I've been trying to resist the Fender Vintera range, but my resolve finally crumbled yesterday morning and I ordered a 60s Jazz Bass in sunburst. 

I received a text message in the night telling me that my new bass would be delivered between 07.41 and 08.41 this morning. Imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang at exactly 07.41 and there was a DPD driver hiding behind a Fender bass box.

Removing the bass from the box & gig bag took until 07.42, then I sat and played it for half an hour or more before remembering I had started to make a cup of tea before the doorbell rang.

It's a beautiful bass, in perfect condition and an ideal match for my Classic 60s Jazz also in sunburst (but cellulose). I had a Classic 60s (non cellulose) some years ago in Finland, but for some odd reason decided to sell all my bass gear before moving back to the UK. I have now corrected that mistake!

I now have five Jazz basses, but the 60s ones with the 7 1/2" radius fingerboards are my favourite. I have two Jazzes for sale on here, they may well soon be joined by my remaining modern Jazz.

Obligatory pictures follow:

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

• Like 15

Just now, daveybass said:

Stunner, love the fingerboard

Yes, it's pau ferro, but darker than most and with a beautiful swirl. The place I bought it from (Peach guitars) shows the actual guitar you are buying (complete with the serial number for verification), and the fingerboard was what made me choose this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Lovely, enjoy Dave 👍

I've had about three hours enjoyment from it so far - needs few minor adjustments, but plays well straight from the box. I reckon the Vintera range (and the Classics that they replaced) are every bit as good as the US Standards (had a few of them over the years as well!).

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2

Some have a low opinion of MIM fenders which is silly as there are some real gems coming out of Fender Mexico 

The gems include this model range, flea and anniversary stackpot jazzes, cabronita precision, passive precision pj special, the classic and road worn series 

• Like 4

Over the last eight years, I have had several USA Jazz basses that have come and gone - I currently have one which I am considering putting up for sale. The one bass I've held on to longest is my MiM Classic 60s Jazz, bought new in May 2013. Having spent most of today playing my nice new Vintera, I can state that they are very closely related!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gareth said:

Some have a low opinion of MIM fenders which is silly as there are some real gems coming out of Fender Mexico 

The gems include this model range, flea and anniversary stackpot jazzes, cabronita precision, passive precision pj special, the classic and road worn series 

I’m a former US Fender snob. That was until I bought a Fender Flea jazz. What a truly superb bass. Easily the equal of my many US Fenders.

Enjoy your new bass Dave.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1