Jump to content

Boss SY-200. New synth pedal on the way.


fretmeister
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looks good!

 

Not sure it's new tech though - seems like a repackaged SY-300, which came out around 2015, in a smaller box? The 128 presets, plus the programmability of the SY-300, give it a nice edge over the SY-1. It also has the Boss visual UI which is better than the FI's and a lot better than the current C4. 

 

But in terms of core synth tones, if it is a rehashed SY-300 then IMO the FI and C4 will trump it. Assuming it has the poly tracking of the SY-1, that particular feature is awesome. 

Edited by Al Krow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another video (copied below) seems to say it's basically the SY-1 with saveable presets and some more control on things like pitch via midi controls but no more in-depth synth control.

 

I guess the pedals to beat are the C4 and FI, it looks like the SY-200 beats them for interface and if you don't want to plug in to a computer, but not sure about it being able to do the variety of Bass synth tones or things like envelope filters and octavers that they can do, seems a bit more guitar focussed.

 

The video says $300 which is £217 if the UK price is a direct conversion, other Boss 200 pedals are all about £200, that'd make the SY-200 tempting.   Edit...boooooo https://www.musicradar.com/news/boss-ir200-sy200-pedals says that it'll be £307 which is less tempting as that's C4 + controller, or FI sort of price. 

 

 

Edited by SumOne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The video says $300 which is £217 if the UK price is a direct conversion, other Boss 200 pedals are all about £200, that'd make the SY-200 tempting.   Edit...boooooo https://www.musicradar.com/news/boss-ir200-sy200-pedals says that it'll be £307 which is less tempting as that's C4 + controller, or FI sort of price. 

 

Yup $300 plus VAT & customs would put it at around the £280 mark. I guess transport may be a bit more from Japan --> UK than Japan --> US as well.

 

I look forward to getting a used one off @Woodinblack in 12 months' time and I will finally get round to selling him my Boss SY-1 at that point so he can have a spare...😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks good, I would have got that, although I got the FI so I guess I probably wouldn't get it any time soon. Looks an interesting pedal.

 So you have the FI and SY-1 currently? Snap! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

 So you have the FI and SY-1 currently? Snap! 🙂

 

I do. I haven't used the FI though, literally I have plugged it in once and not used it - I got it as I thought it was cheap from a link on here, and it wasn't, so I had a bit of a down on it.

Should probably plug it in and see if I can use it for something at some point, not that I can really gig it as it is too big

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

 

Yup $300 plus VAT & customs would put it at around the £280 mark. I guess transport may be a bit more from Japan --> UK than Japan --> US as well.

 

I look forward to getting a used one off @Woodinblack in 12 months' time and I will finally get round to selling him my Boss SY-1 at that point so he can have a spare...😁

 

Probably wouldn't be somethign I would sell - I was tempted by the SY1000 for a while, as a replacement for everything else, but it is the effort of having a 13 pin interface again. 

My SY1 now actually has a permenant song on our set list, so patches would be handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

 

Probably wouldn't be somethign I would sell - I was tempted by the SY1000 for a while, as a replacement for everything else, but it is the effort of having a 13 pin interface again. 

My SY1 now actually has a permenant song on our set list, so patches would be handy.

Yeah - likewise, I was tempted by SY1000 and gave up for similar reasons of thought of having to put aside a bass to kit it out with the necessary interface.

 

So the SY-1 is finally getting gigged, result! Be interested in which song you using it on and what settings?

 

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

 

I do. I haven't used the FI though, literally I have plugged it in once and not used it - I got it as I thought it was cheap from a link on here, and it wasn't, so I had a bit of a down on it.

Should probably plug it in and see if I can use it for something at some point, not that I can really gig it as it is too big

 

That was definitely frustrating on the FI pricing for you. But shame not to use it - in terms of quality of synth tones I think it's still the best bass pedal currently available. And I'm not sure it's too much bigger than the SY-200?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the sound of synth Bass but there's something with synth pedals that never quite gels with me (C4, FI, SY-5) I used to muck about a lot with keyboard synths and DAWs which seem better as far as synthesis, on-hand controls and accuracy/sustain etc. but I'm not giving up on Bass synth pedals as I prefer actually playing the Bass to playing keyboards or mucking about on a computer so could see myself getting the SY-200....and then selling it shortly later! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I like the sound of synth Bass but there's something with synth pedals that never quite gels with me (C4, FI, SY-5) I used to muck about a lot with keyboard synths and DAWs which seem better as far as synthesis, on-hand controls and accuracy/sustain etc. but I'm not giving up on Bass synth pedals as I prefer actually playing the Bass to playing keyboards or mucking about on a computer so could see myself getting the SY-200....and then selling it shortly later! 

Ok, first dibs then please!😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah - likewise, I was tempted by SY1000 and gave up for similar reasons of thought of having to put aside a bass to kit it out with the necessary interface.

 

I think if I had just the one bass I played live it would be an easy choice, but there isn't, I use all my basses in rotation, so there isn't even one I use more than the others. If I had a 13 pin it would tie me to one bass.

 

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So the SY-1 is finally getting gigged, result! Be interested in which song you using it on and what settings?

 

the SY-1 has been gigged quite a lot, but I randomly used it on an add-hock basis when I felt like it before, however, after putting the organ patch on 'need your love so bad' the band really liked it, so it has become a permanent on that.  It would be nice if it did have patch memories.

 

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That was definitely frustrating on the FI pricing for you. But shame not to use it - in terms of quality of synth tones I think it's still the best bass pedal currently available. And I'm not sure it's too much bigger than the SY-200?

 

I am guessing not much in it. Yes, it would be good to use it but doesn't fit on my board. I will play around with it at home and see what I can do with it. As I said, i plugged it in once and spent about a minute going through some options, which is a bit daft really - I have bought it, I shold make use out of it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love my Boss Synth. I have come to realise that the ball ache of using a computer to alter a sound is a huge stumbling block for me 

Also the individual context of a band or room always calls for changing on the fly.

If this is an SY1 but with saveable, easily changeable presets, then I'm in.

£280 new. Hmm.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm interested to find out just how much more tweakable the 171 presets are on the SY-200 as compared to the 121 presets on the SY1.

 

There appears to be an additional (and important) resonance parameter on the SY-200 in addition to the existing tone / depth which are already available on the SY-1; but what that is going to be able to deliver in terms of usable sounds will be key for me as to whether I'll be upgrading to the SY-200 in due course.

 

PBS IC - Oct B4 Guit.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The other bit I've gleaned is that the SY-200 has 3 new modes compared to the SY-1:

 

dual - combines lead & pad 

sweep

noise

 

...looking forward to finding out what these deliver! 

 

Source Audio mentioning (just by chance around the same time that the SY-200 is launched!) that there will be a C4 type thing but with a screen and controls has got me thinking I'll hold out for that - unless it's years away or an extortionate price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

 

Source Audio mentioning (just by chance around the same time that the SY-200 is launched!) that there will be a C4 type thing but with a screen and controls has got me thinking I'll hold out for that - unless it's years away or an extortionate price. 

I've popped the question on timing to SA on the TB forum - be interesting to see what they say. But an expanded C4 with with a decent visual UI plus all the stuff you have to buy as extras currently under one bonnet would be a great bit of kit.

 

The C4 has got a better synth engine / core synth tones from what I've heard from @Quatschmacher's clips than the SY-1. (Although he would probably still say that the FI is still the top of the pile in terms of synth engine). Where the SY-1 completely excels is in with its polyphonic glitch free tracking, which is just outrageously good!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, would be keen on getting one of those. I assume it is basically the SY1 with presets?

 

Plus these 3 new modes compared to the SY-1:

  • dual - combines lead & pad 
  • sweep
  • noise

Particularly interested in what these 3 new modes deliver. 

 

@Woodinblack - for completeness, I should add there also appears to be an additional (and important) resonance parameter on the SY-200 which can be tweaked (and stored) in addition to the existing tone / depth which are already available on the SY-1; plus MIDI which was a particular draw for @0175westwood29

 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...